Lottery officials also increased the jackpot of Powerball, the other national lottery game, to $570 million.
That represented the fourth-largest amount in Mega Millions' history.
A single ticket in Florida won the $450 million jackpot.
The lucky ticket was bought in Florida, according to the Multi-State Lottery association.
Mega Millions lottery tickets rest on a counter at a Pilot travel center near Burlington, N.C.
Powerball drawings take place at 10:59 p.m. on Wednesday and Saturday and may be watched live online at: http://www.powerball.com. The next Powerball drawing will take place on Saturday.
The store where the ticket was sold claims $100,000 for making the sale. Powerball adds Puerto Rico. However, to elect the one-time, lump-sum cash payment option for $281.2 million the claim must be filed within 60 days, according to lottery officials.
The average American spends about $200 a year on lottery tickets, although residents of some states spend far more. Powerball odds are one in 292.2 million.
"When the jackpots reach these levels, everyone starts to daydream about what they would do if they won", Gordon Medenica, Mega Millions lead director, said in a statement. According to a study by LendEDU, the average MA resident spends $735 annually on lottery tickets, while those in DE or NY are likely spending about $400 a year, or $33 per month.
- FX's 'Atlanta' season 2 ('Atlanta Robbin' Season') returns March 1, 2018
- Queen's granddaughter Zara Tindall is expecting 2nd child
- Lottery Mania: two large jackpots has people eager to buy tickets
- HP recalls 50000 laptop batteries globally citing safety issues
- Captain Marvel May Have Just Cast the MCU's Monica Rambeau
- Mandeville Kmart to close as part of national chain's downsizing
- LeBron James won't commit to the Cavaliers beyond this season
- Feces-smearing passenger prompts flight diversion: Authorities
- SBI may revise minimum balance amount, penalty in savings A/Cs
- Jerry Van Dyke, Emmy-nominated star of 'Coach,' dead at 86