Someone called the Sheriff's Office just before 11:30 a.m. saying an intruder was inside a home in Frederickson, a suburb just southeast of Tacoma. Some clothing was found by deputies that they believe he left behind.
Authorities in Washington say a Pierce County Sheriff's deputy has died from gunshot wounds sustained while responding to a home invasion.
McCartney, 34, of Yelm was shot while responding to a burglary call in the Fredrickson area.
"He chased after him and there were shots fired", sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said in an interview.
It is with incredible sadness that inform you that our deputy has passed away from his injuries.
Police say two suspects were involved.
The department asked in a Facebook posting that the deputy's family, friends, and the department be kept in people's thoughts and prayers and that media avoid the area because of the ongoing search for the suspect.
The suspect in the shooting remained at large, KIRO-TV reported.
"This man lived a life of duty and obligation and sacrifice", said Pierce County Sheriff Paul Pastor.
Police closed roads in the area as they hunted for the suspect.
Due to the manhunt and ongoing police investigation, the Bethel School District has canceled school on Monday.
A legacy fund has been set up at TAPCO Credit Union for the fallen deputy's family.
- Brad Pitt Bid $120000 to Watch Game of Thrones
- Amazon Alexa Will Come To Windows 10 PCs This Year
- I Miss Catt Sadler
- American Red Cross: Critical Need for Donors
- SpaceX to launch top-secret Zuma Sunday
- 'Raising Iran unrest at United Nations a blunder'
- Rivals.com reporter Courtney Roland missing in Houston
- Golden Globes 2018: Stars take activists as dates on red carpet
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Korea seeks to discuss divided families, easing tensions at inter-Korean talks