Trump reportedly said, suggesting suggested the U.S. could benefit more from immigration from countries such as Norway. Durbin threw out a few examples, including Haiti, and the president asked why the USA would want all those people from Haiti.
"They're shithole countries. We should have more people from Norway".
Lawmakers in the room were "taken aback", the Post said.
The sources spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to publicly describe the conversation. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.), the Post reported.
Democrats in Congress seized on the president's comments, and the Congressional Black Caucus said the remarks are, "further proof that his Make America Great Again agenda is really a Make America White Again agenda".
He followed his comment by suggesting that the U.S.
"We can now we say with 100% confidence that the president is a racist who does not share the values enshrined in our Constitution". "These vile comments are unacceptable and unbecoming of the Presidency". "My Republican colleagues need to call it that too". "Enough is enough. Silence is complicity". The temporary status was granted to immigrants from those two countries plus Nicaragua because of natural disasters that made their homes uninhabitable. "In short, the President's comments are un-American".
During a discussion on a potential immigration deal, Trump grew frustrated at the suggestion that he restore protections for immigrants from countries who had temporary protected status, which he had revoked.
"Clearly he's a racist".
"For the President of the United States to believe that Haitians have not contributed extraordinarily things to American society, that is ignorant", said Cooper, earlier in the program. That's correct, even with all the covertly demeaning terms that white men have created to refer to non-Western nations, like "third world" or "underdeveloped", the president chose to go with "shithole".
"There's not enough apologies that Donald Trump can do". In announcing his candidacy for the presidency, he accused Mexico of sending criminals to the United States.
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Sam's Club to close seven Illinois locations
- Messi stars with brace as Barca cruise
- Camila Cabello Reveals Fifth Harmony's 2017 MTV VMA Performance Hurt Her Feelings
- Watch the Dissidia Final Fantasy NT Ultimate Collector's Edition Get Unboxed
- Facebook updates News Feed to make friends a priority
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze Switch Port Announced, Release Date Set
- Health officials warn of widespread flu cases
- Walmart Raises Its Minimum Wage and Gives Bonuses
- Young Texas Church Shooting Victim Finally Returns Home after Months in Hospital