Not wanting to worry her visiting mother, Williams stepped into the hall and flagged a nearby nurse, insisting that she needed an IV with heparin, a blood thinner, and a CT scan to check for clots.
'I was like, a Doppler?
The ultrasound revealed nothing, and according to Vogue, Williams reiterated: "I told you, I need a CT scan and a heparin drip". They then performed the scan to find multiple blood clots in the tennis star's lungs.
"When I'm too anxious I lose matches, and I feel like a lot of that anxiety disappeared when Olympia was born", she said.
First, her C-section wound reopened after a coughing spell caused by the clots in her lungs.
Finally, Serena was allowed home, but spent six weeks in bed.
She revealed that she had an emergency c-section when giving birth to Alexis Olympia.
Williams was supposed to give a shot at defending her title at the Australian Open later this month but pulled out on Friday, saying she was "super close" but still not at the level she needs to be.
"It will be cool to see if I get there again, to what I call my spot - where I feel I belong". "But on top of everything she was going through, the feeling of not being able to help made it even harder. "(The) incredible letdown every time you hear the baby cry ...
SIMONA HALEP World ranking 1 Current form WWWWW 2017 titles 1 Best AO result Quarter-finals in 2014 2015
She now has her sights set on a March return at Indian Wells, and fired a warning shot to her rivals.
The 36-year-old hasn't played a competitive match since winning the Australian Open last year, after which she announced her pregnancy.
"I've broken down I don't know how many times".
But that's not to be confused with the idea that Serena is anxious about reclaiming her spot as number one when she returns.
"We're not spending a day apart until she's 18", Williams told Vogue.
'Or I'll get angry about the crying, then sad about being angry, and then guilty, like, "Why do I feel so sad when I have a lovely baby?"
"There hasn't been a clear number one since I was there".
"After competing in Abu Dhabi I realised that although I am super close, I'm not where I personally want to be", she said in a statement on Snapchat.
"I hate playing her because she gets this look on her face where she just looks sad if she's losing - solemn", Serena said.
- FG Repatriates Another 493 Nigerians From Libya, Reveals Rehabilitation Plan
- Pokemon Go will stop working on older iPhones and iPads
- This is how quickly cigarettes can hook you
- Honduras: 7.6 Earthquake Triggers Tsunami alert
- Former Browns HC Mike Pettine to Become Packers Defensive Coordinator
- Jeff Bezos Is Now Richest Person In History
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG) for Xbox One receives new first-person modes
- Alabama RB Bo Scarbrough leaving school early, headed to National Football League , source says
- Tokyo refuses call to do more on 'comfort women' issue
- Michelle Williams earned 99pc less than Mark Wahlberg for film reshoot