Today, Ford issued a critical warning that certain recalled model year 2006 Ford Rangers with defective Takata air bags are an immediate risk to safety. After inspecting the vehicle five days later, Ford confirmed that the airbag inflator ruptured, killing the driver. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Ford will "send mobile fix teams to owners' homes, tow vehicles to a local dealership for fix, and provide loaner vehicles - all free of charge". All of the other deaths have occurred in Hondas.
Ford had previously recalled some 391,000 Rangers from various model-years, but the vehicles in the new recall are all 2006 models built at the Twin Cities Assembly Plant in Minnesota from August 10, 2005 to December 15, 2005.
The recall involves approximately 2,902 vehicles located in North America, with 2,712 located in the United States and federalized territories and 190 in Canada.
Japanese auto supplier Takata plans to sell its viable operations to Key Safety Systems, an affiliate of China's Ningo Joyson Electric Corp, for $1.6 billion.
Affected owners are urged not to drive these vehicles and to contact Ford immediately to schedule a free fix. There has been a linkage of faulty airbag inflators to over 180 cases of injuries and 20 deaths, mostly in the United States. NHTSA must do more, he said, to make the recall a priority.
Sign up at NHTSA.gov/Alerts to be notified by e-mail if your vehicle is affected by a future recall.
Takata said last summer that it has recalled, or expected to recall, airbags in about 125 million vehicles worldwide by 2019, and 19 different automakers worldwide are impacted.
You can find a full list of recalled vehicles on Consumer Reports' website.
In June 2016, NHTSA warned airbag inflators on more than 300,000 unrepaired recalled 2001-2003 model year Honda vehicles showed a substantial risk of rupturing, and urged owners to stop driving them until getting them fixed.
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze Switch Port Announced, Release Date Set
- Watch the Dissidia Final Fantasy NT Ultimate Collector's Edition Get Unboxed
- Became known the cause of the loss of secret USA satellite
- Sam's Club to close seven Illinois locations
- Dark Souls: Remastered Announced, Coming May 25
- Queen's bra-fitter stripped of royal title after 'tell-all' book
- Women Accuse James Franco off Sexual Misconduct
- Iran nuclear deal worth keeping
- Home and Away actress Jessica Falkholt's life support turned off after crash
- Facebook updates News Feed to make friends a priority