Clothing retailer H&M is copping serious heat after publishing an image of a black child model wearing a hoodie bearing the phrase "coolest monkey in the jungle", which critics point out draws extremely uncomfortable parallels with centuries of racial slurs.
The Weeknd has vowed he will never work with H&M bosses again after the launch of an ill-advised new ad that appears to poke fun at racism.
The singer had sold merchandise through H&M and previously modelled for the retailer.
H&M has since apologized for the ad and seemingly pulled it from its catalog, with spokeswoman Anna Eriksson saying "This image has now been removed from all H&M channels and we apologize to anyone this may have offended".
The high street fashion chain were accused of a "disgusting and shameful" decision, with the advertisement since pulled from their website, but Lukaku chose to post his own version of the image onto his Instagram page that has immediately drawn praise from his followers. And we ain't going for it!
The brand also lost one of its celebrity ambassadors The Weeknd who said on Monday: "woke up this morning shocked and embarrassed by this photo. i'm deeply offended and will not be working with @hm anymore..." Since the backlash, H&M has since removed the image from their website. When you look at us make sure you see royalty and super natural God sent glory!
Along with The Weeknd, the company also caught heat from Questlove who called them out on Instagram.
Social media users pointed out that two other tops from the same line, one that said "survival expert" and one with images of animals, were modeled by white children.
- Pak anthem row: Independent MLA marshalled out of J&K Assembly
- CES 2018: TCL Unveils Expanded Home Entertainment Lineup
- Google Assistant is coming to Dish Network this year
- Serena Williams opens up about childbirth nightmare of blood clots
- National Anthem No Longer Compulsory in Indian Cinemas
- Nicole Kidman snubs her adopted kids
- Arshi Khan is the surprise visitor with special powers
- OJ Simpson responds to claim he's Khloe Kardashian's biological father
- Facebook to Shuts Down it's Virtual Assistant M
- The Lightning, the All-Star Host, Lead the NHL All-Star Rosters