Memorials in Sutherland Springs, Texas, for those shot and killed in the massacre at the First Baptist Church there November 5, 2017.Memorials in Sutherland Springs, Texas, for those shot and killed in the massacre at the First Baptist Church there November 5, 2017.
When 6-year-old Ryland Ward was wounded during the Sutherland Springs massacre in Texas, volunteer firefighter Rusty Duncan promised him a special treat - a ride in a firetruck when he got better.
Ward is one of the youngest survivors of the worst church shooting in US history in which a deranged gunman killed 26 members of the First Baptist Church congregation.
A survivor of the worst mass shooting in Texas history, Ward was rushed to the intensive care unit at San Antonio's University Hospital where he remained for more than two months.
After all the grief, Thursday was a time to give thanks for one tough kid, a Sutherland Springs victim, who took five bullets and didn't quit. Duncan was one of the first to go inside the church.not knowing what he'd find inside.
"He couldn't wait to get out the hospital". He told six-year-old Ryland that whenever he needs him he's just a phone call away.
"It's just a miracle he survived and is doing as well as he is", she said.
Ryland Ward, 6, a survivor of the Sutherland Springs church shooting, rides home in a fire department truck on January 11, 2018. "I had no idea what it was". "He's a character. This little boy has the best fighting spirit I've ever seen out of anybody in my entire life. I rolled her over and grabbed him and started running outside with him".
Ward stared up at Duncan with "glassy eyes" and kept staring, wordlessly, as Duncan picked him up and carried him to the ambulance.
Duncan said he continued to visit the little boy.
Ward reportedly has 15 percent use of his left hip and drags his left leg as he tries to walk.
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Home and Away actress Jessica Falkholt's life support turned off after crash
- DeLauro pushes CDC director for answers on E. coli outbreak
- Iran nuclear deal worth keeping
- Overwatch League Opening Day Peaked at Over 400000 Viewers
- Donald Trump's UK Visit Canceled, Rex Tillerson May Open New London Embassy
- 'Do Not Travel' Advisory Issued for Parts of Mexico
- Skype To Get End-To-End Encryption
- Became known the cause of the loss of secret USA satellite
- Walmart Raises Its Minimum Wage and Gives Bonuses