A California fire official affirmed to The Associated Press that an armed man took three hostages at veterans home and described the incident as an "active shooter situation".
Camera IconPolice stand outside a veterans home in California. The gate is normally open during the day for visitors and vendors.
Authorities said they could not immediately say if anyone was injured.
The Napa County Sheriff's Office reported that a shot had been fired, but there were no immediate reports of any casualties. The staff is also monitoring the situation in Napa County so it can provide updates to residents and employees.
An armored police vehicle, ambulances and several firetrucks could be seen at the scene.
Police closed access to the large veterans home in Yountville after a man with a gun was reported on the grounds.
Thornton says her 96-year-old father - a WWII fighter pilot - is inside a hospital wing at the home in Yountville, north of San Francisco.
Yountville Elementary School was on lockdown, but the lockdown has since been lifted.
Founded in 1884, the facility houses about 1,000 aging vets and is the largest veterans home in the United States, according to the CalVet. "The safety of our residents, workers and the community is our top priority", the home said on its Facebook page Friday.
The FBI has deployed a SWAT team to Yountville, spokesperson Katherine Zackel said. Amanda Vargas, whose husband is the chief of finance in the home's administrative building, said she's been in touch with her husband and he is safe.
- Snow showers expected today and Thursday
- DeMarco Murray gets released by Titans
- Lawyers for Powerball victor to claim $559M jackpot for client
- Blue wave meets red wall: Republicans out vote Democrats in Texas primary
- Ethnic cleansing of Rohingyas continues in Myanmar, says top United Nations official
- Secret YouTube Videos Filmed By 'House Of Horrors' Teenager Emerge
- International Women's Day marked by vibrant demonstrations across the world
- Area teens who attended cheerleading championship exposed to mumps
- Ichiro Suzuki likely to return to Seattle Mariners
- Gandhi, Ambedkar's statues defaced in Chennai/Kannur, one held