NY1 statehouse reporter Zack Fink will have more on the story at noon on NY1.
Asked during an unrelated phone press conference about Nixon possibly challenging him, Cuomo said that "people who may or may not run for governor on both sides of the aisle, that's up to them".
"Normally, name recognition is relevant when it has some connection to the endeavor", said Cuomo.
If Nixon were to run and win, she would make history two times over, as the state's first openly bisexual and first female governor. She continued to criticize Cuomo's achievements in school aid, noting that spending on education is something "parents all across NY state talk to me about".
Though Nixon's rep did not comment on the conversation the actress had with political advisors Rebecca Katz and Bill Hyer, she did say that Nixon will "continue to explore" running for office, pointing out that "many concerned New Yorkers" have encouraged the run. "If and when such a decision is made, Cynthia will be sure to make her plans public". "He was able to expose, and then exploit, in a sickening way how desperate working people are and how little the Democratic Party is paying attention to them, because no different than the Republican Party, it has been focused for too long, and too intently, on the big money interests that fund its campaigns".
Ms. Nixon, a spokeswoman for the union-backed Alliance for Quality Education for years, joined Twitter in December and has quickly amassed 25,000 followers while sending only 41 tweets, majority about politics.
In August 2017, Nixon joined the Today show and declared, "There are a lot of people who would like me to run".
Cynthia Nixon has not yet decided if she will run in the Democratic primary against Gov. Cuomo.
"You can't let these things bother you".
- Fighting, arrests precede Richard Spencer speech at Michigan State University
- 'DemocracyDemonetised': Rahul Gandhi accuses BJP of 'usurping' power in Meghalaya
- Missouri's Michael Porter Jr. Will Reportedly Return For Tomorrow's SEC Tournament Game
- This is Getting Ugly for Mark Cuban
- Bishop's reaction to Irish Supreme Court ruling on unborn
- Donald Trump praises Xi Jinping for his grip on power in China
- Test For Breast Cancer Gene Will Be Available In Weeks
- Fyre Festival Promoter Billy McFarland Has Pleaded Guilty to Fraud
- Seahawks trade Bennett to Eagles
- Rams trade Alec Ogletree to Giants for two draft picks