Well here's something you don't see every day: a bag containing 27 pairs of human hands.
Most were hidden in a bag which was found on the ice-clad island.
The hands, severed at the wrist, were found on an island in the Amur, close to Khabarovsk, some 30 kilometres downstream from the Chinese border.
Each hand was laid out in the snow as evidence by Russian police in a shocking photograph.
While police are investigating, there remains "mystery over who the sinister hands belonged to, when they were chopped off and why".
Investigators have found fingerprints on one of the hands and are checking the others.
Local media reported that next to the remains were found medical bandages and hospital-style plastic shoe covers.
A decision will then be made on whether to prosecute the forensic service for failing to guard its gruesome collection of severed hands. The Investigative Committee of The Russian Federation declared in a statement on the Telegram messaging app that the hands came from a forensics lab in the Russian city of Khabarovsk. Another theory states that the hands were severed from dead bodies in a hospital.
The discovery has led to fears of a trade in illegal body parts using stolen corpses, and that the hands were severed to prevent the bodies from being identified afterwards.
"It is a sickening sight", said a local source.
Motive as yet is unclear as investigators have given no details on the case.
- United States roughly and blatantly deceived Russian Federation during Euromaidan, - Putin
- Jeremy Corbyn: Labour must reject full European Union single market membership
- ECB Monetary Policy Decisions
- OLD FIRM: Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers issues warning to Rangers
- Windsor's jobless rate up slightly
- Davis turns ankle, but Pelicans roll to 10th straight win
- Celebrating International Women's Day 2018 around the world
- Davide Astori: Funeral sees Italy players and thousands of fans pay respects
- Atwal came to India on a valid visa: MEA
- Browns Acquire Jarvis Landry From Dolphins