A bench of justices S Muralidhar and IS Mehta told Karti Chidambaram 's counsel "Don't go into all this" when he asked how could investigating agencies, the CBI and the ED, even rely on the statement of Indrani Mukherjea who herself is in jail in connection with her daughter's killing.
This comes two days after the apex court on Tuesday refused to grant anticipatory bail to the Congress leader. The ED also prompted Karti's lawyers to withdraw the plea from the top court and go to the High Court asking for relief.
Karti was arrested by the CBI on February 28 in connection with the FIR lodged on May 15, 2017 alleging irregularities in the Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) clearance to INX Media for receiving overseas funds to the tune of about Rs 305 crore in 2007 when his father was the Union finance minister.
But, on March 1, 2018, when he again produced in the court, his custody was extended by five days. The second is to allow the CBI to bring Indrani and Peter Mukerjea to Delhi and identify the places where they met Karti Chidambaram.
Singhvi also argued that the case is ten years old and all documents are available with the CBI. Ltd., the company which is accused of giving 10 lakh rupees to six FIPB officials for influencing approvals related to INX media.
CBI submitted to the court that further custody was required for unearthing the "total conspiracy" hatched in the case and during the probe new revelations have come up so custodial interrogation was necessary to confront him with the new facts. Bhaskararaman was arrested by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on February 16 and has been sent to judicial custody till March 22.
The High Court will in most likelihood deal with his prayer Friday morning while his prayer for bail before the special CBI judge in the Patiala Courts here is listed at 2 PM on completion of his extended custody of nine days to the CBI. "CBI has to justify remand every day and every minute", Singhvi said on behalf of Karti.
- Milan duel a decider for Wenger
- Atwal came to India on a valid visa: MEA
- NY Assembly passes anti-gun violence legislation
- Browns Acquire Jarvis Landry From Dolphins
- Mario Tennis Aces arrives on June 22
- Davide Astori: Funeral sees Italy players and thousands of fans pay respects
- OLD FIRM: Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers issues warning to Rangers
- Supreme Court allows passive euthanasia in its landmark decision
- Gabe Newell says Valve is going to start shipping games again
- United States roughly and blatantly deceived Russian Federation during Euromaidan, - Putin