And Southampton have now made a decision to act with the team sitting 17th, just one point above the drop zone with eight games to go.
The Saints, who only have eight games left, are looking for a coach to come in and save them from Premier League relegation.
Southampton have sacked Mauricio Pellegrino as manager, the Premier League club announced on Monday.
"The club will look to appoint a new management team as soon as possible", Southamtpon said in a statement on their website.
Pellegrino admitted as much himself after the Newcastle defeat, saying: "I observed some players who gave up and we can not show this, to be honest".
"When you are losing 2-0, you have to try, and I think we tried to be in the game, to score one, but we were never a threat for Newcastle". We have been talking about this a lot of time from the beginning.
"We can talk about "we're way too good for this, we're way too good for that, this is not us" but the reality talks for itself and the results are not there".
"Yes, you can lay the blame at the manager's door at how the team has played and been set but, but at the end of the day the players out on the football pitch have got to do the business".
"Because we can't do this to ourselves, we can't do this to the fans who have travelled so far - but most importantly we can't do this to the club".
Asked if he was confident about staying up, manager Benitez said: "Yes, the one thing we have is confidence in our team".
Southampton can not afford to continue their current form for the remainder of the season if they are to survive in the Premier League.
- Syrian Observatory says war has killed more than half a million
- DeVos Fires Back at '60 Minutes' After Interview Criticism
- "Disease X" May cause a Worldwide Epidemic
- SIPRI: Egypt's arms imports skyrocket amidst greater security threats
- 'We had your backs': Trudeau on country's steel and aluminum workers
- Plane Crashes While Landing At Kathmandu Airport In Nepal
- Philips Hue Outdoor Lights Will Be Released In July
- Deterrence and diplomacy are the only options for North Korea
- Pro-Kurdish Demonstrators Clash With Turkish Supporters, German Police At Duesseldorf Airport
- Guardiola talks down prospect of title party against United