Oct 3: SC says it would examine whether HC can exercise its power under writ jurisdiction to annul the marriage of a Muslim man with a Hindu woman who had converted to Islam before tying the nuptial knot.
A Bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justices AM Khanwilkar and DY Chandrachud passed the judgment a few minutes ago.
The matter had come to fore when Jahan had challenged the Kerala High Court's order annulling his marriage with Hadiya and sending her to her parents' custody.
Advocate Maninder Singh, the lawyer appearing for the NIA, submitted to the Supreme Court that the probe is nearly complete in the case.
March 6 (ANI): Hadiya's father, KM Ashokan on Tuesday filed an affidavit in the Supreme Court in connection with the alleged Kerala love jihad case. On May 24, 2017, the Kerala HC declared the marriage a "sham", directing that she be returned to the "custody" of her parents.
She further told the apex court, "I want freedom".
The NIA had earlier denied the allegations that it had behaved with Hadiya with a prejudice as if she is a criminal or a terrorist.
Hadiya had recently filed an affidavit before the top court claiming that she had willingly converted to Islam and wanted to live with Jahan as his wife.
Siding with the young couple, the SC has consistently maintained that two consenting adults have the right to decide whom to marry, irrespective of whether the State approves of it or not.
The Supreme Court also said that a marriage could not be cancelled on the basis of Habeas Corpus petition.
Her family alleged she was brainwashed as part of an anti-Hindu conspiracy, prompting a lower court to annul the marriage.
She was summoned to testify by the top court on whether she had been forced to convert.
"Today's Supreme Court verdict is not complete".
- Study finds Jupiter's mystery jet-streams run deeper than thought
- 1 killed, another student hurt in a school shooting
- Dawood Ibrahim's associate Farooq Takla gets CBI custody till March 19
- Neiphiu Rio sworn in as Nagaland CM, takes oath outside Raj Bhavan
- Former Trump campaign aide wavers on defying Mueller inquiry
- Daylight Saving Time in SC
- Granit Xhaka lauds Arsenal "togetherness" after Europa League win over AC Milan
- Smoke Alarms Market Global Briefing 2018 with Forecast to 2023
- Winners from the NFL Scouting Combine
- Travis Kalanick is taking his next big idea to India