Last month, we covered the #DeleteFacebook movement, and it looks like it's still going strong.
The company was hit by the Cambridge Analytica scandal, with the personal information of 87 million Facebook users reportedly accessed by the political consulting firm without the individuals' consent. Apple has more secure ways to share things about yourself.
Cook later said, according Recode: "The truth is, we could make a ton of money if we monetized our customer - if our customer was our product". "I wouldn't be in the situation", said Cook.
Wozniak announced he's shutting down his Facebook account amid the worst privacy crisis the social media company has faced. Although multiple and even verified accounts remain on Facebook in his name, Wozniak posted on his personal account that he is "in the process" of leaving the network, subsequently explaining his decision to USA Today.
Facebook has recently come under fire over its handling of user data.
Steve also used the opportunity to uphold the high standards Apple maintains when it comes to safeguarding the privacy and its users.
The difference with the social network is the sheer amount of data it holds on its users, making it much more valuable to advertisers.
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg will soon be facing a grilling from a United States congressional committee over Facebook's handling of user privacy.
Current Apple CEO Tim Cook has also publicly criticized Facebook, prompting Zuckerberg to denounce Cook's comments as "extremely glib".
"With Facebook, you are the product", said the Apple senior executive, who is one of the latest prominent users who have quit Facebook. Wozniak in an email statement to USA Today said that Facebook makes its profit off of users' private information, but none of that profit is returned to them.
"If you want to build a service which is not just serving rich people, then you need to have something that people can afford", said Zuckerberg.
- Volume Buzz: Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX)
- Tristan Thompson Photographed Cheating on Pregnant Khloe Kardashian
- Ctc LLC Cut Tesla INC (TSLA) Stake as Market Valuation Declined
- World's Oldest Man Likes Soaking in Hot Springs, Eating Sweets
- Dennis Lorenzo sings "Rude" on American Idol 2018 Top 24
- Israeli Labor Party Suspends Ties With Corbyn, Claims He Sanctions Anti-Semitism
- Ford reveals fourth-generation, made-in-China compact — Renewed Focus
- The Morning Brew: Oklahoma teachers continue walkout with large crowds
- Rod Rosenstein Signed Off On Michael Cohen Raid
- Dozens hurt after bus carrying high school students crashes into overpass