The Congress on Tuesday termed the fast proposed to be undertaken by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP leaders on Thursday against Parliament's disruption as nothing but a "photo-opportunity" and "drama".
While addressing the gathering at the inauguration of the Defence Expo, Prime Minister Narendra Modi thanked the people of Tamil Nadu for their enthusiastic participation in the historic region of Kanchipuram.
Pazha Nedumaran of Thamizhar Desiya Munnani was arrested for staging black flag. He was here to inaugurate the Defence Expo at Thiruvidanthai and to open the Diamond Jubilee Building of Cancer Institute at Chennai. You are going directly into IIT by helicopter and then a wall is broken to let you into Cancer Institute.
Similar black balloon and flag protests were witnessed all over Tamil Nadu.
On February 16, the Supreme Court had raised the 270 tmcft share of Cauvery water for Karnataka by 14.75 tmcft and reduced Tamil Nadu's share while compensating it by allowing extraction of 10 tmcft groundwater from the river basin.
DMK working president MK Stalin has asked his party's workers to hoist black flags at the party office and homes to register their protest. "I feel all the Indian citizens should come out together, and we should stop paying taxes, and also we should stop voting till these children don't get justice", Mahika said in a statement.
The one protest that seems to have caught the imagination online is the giant black advertising balloon floated by the DMK. The demonstrators who belonged to the DMK wore black shirts to make their point. Ace film director Bharathiraaja was among those from the film fraternity who had reached the airport to raise slogans against Modi. In no time the former deputy CM and RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav jumped into the matter and quizzed the PM Modi and called it big "goof-up".
Today's protest comes two days after pro-Tamil outfits opposing the IPL match in the city, trying to play spoilsport over the Cauvery issue.
Inaugurating the DefExpo 2018 on East Coast Road near Chennai, he blasted the UPA over stalled defence projects and commended his own government for finalising the procurement of bulletproof jackets for soldiers and setting in a new process to procure 110 fighter planes for the Indian Air Force.
There was a time when the critical issue of defence preparedness was hampered by policy paralysis.
- Bulgaria condemns chemical weapon attack in Syrian town of Douma
- Pentagon gives details on damage to Syria airstrike targets
- KKR aiming to halt SRH winning run
- Hearing related to Federal Bureau of Investigation raid at Trump lawyer's office is set
- UK, US and France launch strikes on Syria
- Tiger Roll wins Grand National in thrilling finish
- Commonwealth Games: 13 missing African athletes could be avoiding returning home
- Marseille vs. Salzburg, Arsenal vs. Atletico in Europa semi-finals
- Heavy rain and possible severe weather expected Sunday
- Kids were sexually assaulted because teachers were protesting: Kentucky gov.