Kurt Fearnley has finished his glittering career as an Australian representative, with gold in the Commonwealth Games marathon.
It wasn't. A late contact penalty gave Housby a second attempt at goal and she slipped the ball through the net with apparent ease, securing a momentous win for England in the final second of the game to the giddy elation of the England fans in crowd.
England came back from six points behind in an epic semi-final with Jamaica and overturned a four-point deficit in the final quarter against Australia - before Housby's victor.
"It's my dream come true", said head coach Tracey Neville.
'The girls have worked so hard over the last global phase.
"She came forward strong, I didn't think she landed the cleaner shots", Robertson said.
But third-ranked England upset the odds to claim victory over the favourites on a remarkable day of action. Winning goal in a Commonwealth Games Final.
This was the first time since netball was introduced at the 1998 Games that the final did not feature both Australia and New Zealand.
Australia had led by as much as four goals in the last quarter and looked to have snapped the Roses' fierce resistance, but a handful of calamitous errors let them back into the contest.
The win is England netball's best result yet, after having won silver at the 1975 World Cup.
Patterson is studying architecture at the University of Queensland to have a full life after her swimming which has benefits every day for the left side of her body affected by cerebral palsy.
Neville said she hoped the Commonwealth win would encourage more people to pick up the sport. No words can describe that England Netball doing something we've all dreamed of. "I didn't come here for bronze".
- Parent: Baseball coaches discussed plan to 'bean' daughter
- Brokers Recommendations on: Tesla Motors, Inc. (TSLA)
- Turkey's Edrogan welcomes United States , allied strike on Syria chemical weapons sites
- Nixon gets new endorsement for NY governor race
- Guardiola will play golf as City await title
- Ferrari stun rivals with qualifying speed
- In Peru, Pence defends Syria military strike
- Confirmed: First Premier League promotion sealed
- Sixers' Joel Embiid to remain sidelined for Game 2
- Commonwealth Games: England men & women reach rugby sevens semis