"I've got to give it a chance first - it's Charlotte - to see what it's like before I completely throw it out", Busch said.
David Ragan posted the fastest lap of the session at 127.487 miles per hour.
Kyle Busch is coming off a victory last week at Texas Motor Speedway.
"It's nice to come out here and grab a front row starting spot, but I've got to be careful and mindful", Kyle said.
BRISTOL, Tenn. (AP) - Kyle Busch is growing exhausted of stock vehicle racing's governing body trying to manufacture tighter competition in the annual All-Star race at the expense of the Cup Series' heavy hitters.
Kurt Busch, a five-time Bristol victor, was looking for his second-straight pole position after posting the fastest time last week at Texas.
"Wow. I'm really sorry", Busch said over the radio.
Kyle Larson qualified sixth on Friday and ran even faster laps early Saturday morning.
In its seemingly never-ending quest to make the All-Star race more competitive and create more passing opportunities, NASCAR announced this week it will test a different aerodynamic package at the May 19 event at Charlotte Motor Speedway by requiring cars to have restrictor plates. "It's continually changing and I think that shows well for a driver that can adapt".
"I'm not sure that you can fabricate racing to being anything better than what exists, you know?" said the 32-year-old Busch. "The track sat open for 10 minutes, and with four minutes or three and a half to go, all of a sudden, we all decided it was time to go".
- Watchdog confirms nerve agent was used to poison ex-Russian spy
- Black flags, 'Go back Modi' chants greet PM Modi at Chennai
- Tiger Roll wins Grand National in thrilling finish
- Jeremy Corbyn: Allies' bombing is 'legally questionable'
- Russian Federation nerve agent tested BEFORE Skripal attack, damning dossier claims
- Kids were sexually assaulted because teachers were protesting: Kentucky gov.
- James Comey admits polls were 'a factor' in email announcement
- Inslee, Ferguson cautiously optimistic after Trump's 'promise' to protect states' marijuana rights
- KKR aiming to halt SRH winning run
- Commonwealth Games: 13 missing African athletes could be avoiding returning home