Other states in the outbreak include Idaho, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Missouri and Washington.
No word on what caused it. If you have some of the lettuce, or aren't sure where yours comes from, throw it out.
If you have store-bought chopped romaine lettuce at home you should not eat it and you should throw it away.
However, in five to 10 percent of cases the strain can lead to a type of kidney failure called hemolytic uremic syndrome.
Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published broadcast rewritten or redistributed
The C.D.C. said that 26 of 28 infected individuals surveyed reported eating a salad at a restaurant, with romaine lettuce being the only common ingredient.
The CDC is also warning consumers to ask restaurants if there is romaine they are using in salads is from Yuma, Arizona before eating it. They should also track the foods they've eaten and restaurants they've eaten in the week prior to becoming ill. Ill people range in age from 12 to 84 years, with a median age of 41. Six of the infected people are from New Jersey and four are from Idaho.
State health officials advise consumers not to eat packaged chopped romaine lettuce or salad mixes containing romaine lettuce, and to discard any remaining lettuce from the package even if it was eaten and no one has gotten sick.
In a joint statement, the Produce Marketing Association, Arizona Leafy Greens Marketing Agreement, California Leafy Greens Marketing Agreement, United Fresh and Western Growers said they were cooperating fully with government and working closely to further identify the specific source of this outbreak.
- WATCH Palestinian Rapper Records Music Video on Israel-Gaza Border Amid Clashes
- Suspect accused of killing MA cop reportedly had 114 prior offenses
- (Audio) One More Blast Of Winter Weather
- How Jose is keeping his United squad focused
- How to watch Harry and Meghan get married
- Bitcoin surges 17% to move above $8000
- Ex-FBI deputy director faulted by Justice Dept. on media disclosure
- China March new loans rise to 1.12 trln yuan but miss forecasts
- Hamilton dominates opening practice session in China
- Actor, comedian Will Ferrell hospitalized after serious auto accident