Quite simply, the Vegas Golden Knights are the most successful expansion team ever, in any major North American sport.
Marc-Andre Fleury on Tuesday had 31 saves for his 12th career playoff shutout as the Vegas Golden Knights became the first expansion team in the 100-year history of the National Hockey League to sweep a playoff series in their first season with a 1-0 victory over hosts the Los Angeles Kings.
As some extra salt in the wound, Vegas's lone goal on Tuesday came from Brayden McNabb, whom the Golden Knights poached from the Kings last June in the expansion draft.
The Golden Knights shut out the Los Angeles Kings in a 1-0 win, advancing them to the second round, where they will face either the San Jose Sharks or the Anaheim Ducks.
Arash Markazi of ESPN.com provided comments from Golden Knights goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, who recorded 31 saves for his second shutout of the series.
Fleury's 0.65 goals-against average makes him the fifth goaltender in the expansion era (since 1967-68) to win all four games of a playoff series and finish with a GAA of 0.70 or less.
McNabb netted the first playoff goal of his career 4 minutes and 4 seconds into the second period. "Now all of a sudden, we're moving on to the second round of the playoffs". Having pulled goalie Jonathan Quick for an extra attacker late, Dustin Brown's shot in the high slot was stopped by Fleury's glove.
All four games were decided by one goal, including two games by 1-0 scores to begin and end the series.
NOTES: Fleury earned his 66th playoff victory, breaking a tie with Dominik Hasek for 11th on the NHL's all-time list among goaltenders. Smith's efforts have helped Vegas get into Round 2 of the postseason following a series sweep against the Kings.
Fleury survived a tense third period at Staples Center.
- Sweden and India announce innovation partnership
- Reno Students Gear Up For Another Protest Against Gun Violence
- Angels' Shohei Ohtani (blister) leaves Tuesday start, okay to hit
- Manchester City can "continue to dominate", says Chelsea boss Antonio Conte
- NFL Draft 2018: Minnesota Vikings 7-round mock draft
- PFA Premier League Team of the Year: five Man City stars included
- Golovkin - Martirosyan on for May 5th
- Patriots' Tom Brady has not committed to playing in 2018
- Professional Wrestling Legend Bruno Sammartino Dead at 82
- Starbucks to shut over 8000 US Cafes