It was reported early on Tuesday that Italian Football Federation commissioner Roberto Fabbricini, along with vice-commissioner Costacurta, spoke with Ancelotti at a Rome hotel.
The Azzurri failed to qualify for a World Cup for the first time since 1958, and have spent a while trying to look for a new Coach, with former Inter player Gigi Di Biagio managing the side for two friendlies in the interim.
Both Sky Sport Italia and Mediaset have reported that a meeting was held not far from the Italian FA's headquarters in the capital to discuss terms with Ancelotti, who was sacked by Bayern Munich in September but is still under contract.
"Carlo was in Rome for personal reasons". We did not talk about the job, we only joked about the opportunity.
However, Costacurta played down his meeting with Ancelotti and insists no official offer has been made.
"You have to talk about many things, the program and finances, but we could not talk about them".
"It is true, there is a vision that could see Carlo, like others, on the bench of the national team".
"I don't think a coach can rule out a prestigious job like leading Italy".
Concise News learnt that the Italian who was sacked by German side Bayern Munich last summer, is strongly preferred among other top coaches as Roberto Mancini, Claudio Ranieri and Antonio Conte who are also linked to the role.
- Google, Amazon services blocked in Russian Federation
- Why Macaulay Culkin doesn't watch 'Home Alone'
- Capitals advance with Game 6 win over Jackets
- Napoli attacker Lorenzo Insigne taunts Juventus after shock win
- Lance Armstrong Settles $100M Lawsuit With USPS, Justice Department
- Amazon rumoured to be developing a domestic robot
- President George HW Bush Rushed to Hospital
- Russia, China announce blocking Trump's bid to scrap Iran nuclear deal
- Intertek Group plc (LON:ITRK) Ratings Summary as of April 23, 2018
- Safely dispose of old pills on National Drug Take Back Day