However, the United manager also gave a strong defence of his own record, listing some of his achievements with Chelsea, Real Madrid and Porto, after being asked how United could expect to overhaul Pep Guardiola's team next season.
Jose Mourinho admits Paul Pogba needs to show much more consistency in his performances and has challenged the midfielder to maintain the form that saw him nearly single-handedly dismantle Manchester City last week. "They won because they were the best team and lost only a few points".
"Congratulations to Manchester City on their Premier League title win", they wrote on their official Twitter account. Just a week after winning at City, Jose Mourinho's team could not even avoid defeat against the Premier League's bottom club to keep their neighbours waiting a while longer to claim the title. "I don't know if I was the first or second or third but I congratulated them face to face when I had the chance", Mourinho said. Probably because I won eight championships, I was not in the moon with the victory against them. That didn't make me feel super happy and, in my opinion, it affected some of the people that were too happy.
United's afternoon was symptomatic of their entire season. I have been lucky to win three but so many I have missed as well.
Mourinho tried his best to be magnanimous and cavalier about United's loss on Jay Rodriguez's rain-soaked diving header, but it definitely isn't carrying the right ring after the 1-0 loss clinched the Premier League title for City.
"I trust in my work, that is for sure - I have no reason not to trust", he said.
"It hurts [for Manchester City to win the title]".
The Special One stated: "I'll tell you what I told him after the match - I don't expect you to be man of the match every week, I don't expect you to score two goals every week. One of the things we have to improve is our consistency".
Romelu Lukaku had one effort superbly saved by Foster but there was no significant build-up of pressure.
After sacking Alan Pardew at the start of the month, Darren Moore has been handed the West Brom until the end of the season.
- Daniel Ricciardo fires warning to Vettel and Hamilton after Chinese GP win
- Saina Nehwal is pure gold
- Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger unhappy over VAR decision
- Ferrari stun rivals with qualifying speed
- Bon Jovi reunites for performance
- Hanley Ramirez escapes with bruise as X-rays on wrist are negative
- Commonwealth Games: England men & women reach rugby sevens semis
- Commonwealth Games 2018: Manika Batra- Sathiyan Gnanasekaran bag table tennis mixed bronze
- Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe praises Mohamed Salah
- Eagles CB Daryl Worley arrested, police use taser