Some have tested positive for an anticoagulant often used as rat poison.
In a statement, the Cook County Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Ponni Arunkumar warned that brodifacoum can be highly lethal and that it should not be consumed.
Michigan's Department of Health and Human Services has sent out a warning after more than 70 cases of "persistent and severe bleeding" has been linked to the use of synthetic marijuana containing brodifacoum in IL.
Brodifacoum is used as an ingredient in rat poison.
Dr. Eden Wells from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services says in just four weeks it's already killed two people and put almost 100 others in the hospital in the mid-west alone.
Health authorities are alerting health care providers to be on the looking for persistent and severe bleeding. The findings were reported by the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office. The illnesses in IL, which have resulted in 60 hospitalizations, have been associated with use of synthetic marijuana products, the health department said.
The person's symptoms were similar to dozens of cases in the Chicago region in the last several weeks.
Severe and uncontrollable bleeding, hallucinations and even death.
Synthetic cannabinoids are chemicals sprayed on dried, shredded plant material so they can be smoked or converted to liquids to be vaporized and inhaled in e-cigarettes. "Symptoms may range from unexplained bruising, bleeding from the nose or gums, blood in the urine or stools, coughing up or vomiting blood, to bleeding in the brain". Also known as fake weed, it is sold for recreational drug use under brand names such as K2, Spice, Black Mamba, Bombay Blue, Genie, Zohai and others. "We will work with state and federal public health officials to try to identify common products and where they are coming from".
- Bollywood star Salman Khan convicted, gets 5 years for poaching rare deer
- Spain will respect German ruling on Puigdemont
- Earnings per share (EPS) to Watch - Amazon.com Inc (NASDAQ: AMZN)
- Belgian rider in 'life-threatening' condition after cardiac arrest
- Gaza buries journalist killed while covering mass protests
- Shohei Ohtani goes deep again in Angels' win over Athletics
- Kevin De Bruyne is Man City's hardest worker - Pep Guardiola
- Youth beheaded in Kashmir
- Pep Guardiola: I could be to blame for Manchester City's dip
- UFC star McGregor arraigned on felony criminal mischief