Experts said the effect of the latest move will destabilize the commission at a time it is preparing to conduct electoral boundaries review for the 2022 election, whereas Chiloba's absence will make it hard or impossible for the secretariat to operate because the CEO by law makes the day-to-day decisions which no other commissioner can.
Three commissioners from Kenya's electoral commission Monday said they've resigned over the suspension of the body's chief executive officer who was sent on compulsory leave to pave the way for wider investigations into the commission's conduct in last year's elections.
"Without a doubt a doubt it undermines the legitimacy of the Jubilee administration and confirms that its election was an electoral fraud", he added.
"The current IEBC is felonious enterprise".
While Nkatha and Kurgat walked out in protest of the vote triggered by an internal audit that revealed non-adherence to procurement regulations in five election tenders previous year, Mwachanya was away on official duty. There are no longer good or bad commissioners at IEBC. "The organization is cursed", Orengo said.
Further, the senator claimed the electoral body had refused to open its servers to be audited in the wake of contested presidential election.
The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission, IEBC is in crisis after three commissioners including Vice Chairperson Consolata Maina Nkatha, Ambassador Paul Kurgat and Margaret Mwachanya resigned with immediate effect.
"It has failed accountability, efficiency and accuracy tests as stipulated in the Constitution.Corruption is deeply rooted in its operations for which Msando had to be brutally murdered to secure its fraudulent activities", he stated.
Siaya Senator James Orengo and his Elgeyo Marakwet fired the first salvo immediately it became apparent, the electoral body can not conduct any business due to lack of quorum.
"The remaining three commissioners lack quorum and should follow suit and allow for a new well-constituted commission to be formed", said Mr Savula.
Sources indicate that Chebukati was struck by news of the resignation of his Vice Chair Connie Maina, Commissioners Paul Kurgat and Margret Wanjala.
Raila accused IEBC of favouring his opponent President Uhuru Kenyatta.
With Roselyn Akombe having quit days before the October 26 repeat presidential election and CEO Ezra Chiloba suspended, the chairman is now bereft of a quorum to run the affairs of the commission.
- Russia says will make every effort to improve ties with West
- 2nd-Grader Brings Knife To School, Cuts 3 Students
- California Trump Government Arrange in dispute for National Guard troops at Edge
- Here's What Jose Mourinho Said About 'Anthony Martial Wanting To Leave'
- 'Kingdom Hearts III' minigames riff on pre-smartphone mobile games
- United States weighing additional sanctions on Russian Federation
- How a Supreme Court case could affect your online purchases
- School board buying property next to Tilghman
- Economy Watch: Retail Sales See Healthy Uptick in March
- Gov. Bevin tries to clarify comments about teacher protests