He said all 29 North Atlantic Treaty Organisation members backed the airstrikes as a outcome of the country conducting a suspected chemical attack against its civilians last weekend. The countries targeted Damascus and surrounding areas in response to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's chemical weapons capabilities following a chemical attack last week which killed at least 60 people.
Recalling the consistent North Atlantic Treaty Organisation condemnation of Syria's continued use of chemical weapons, the alliance chief said the alleged use of such weapons had been a clear breach of worldwide norms and agreements.
"All NATO allies expressed their full support for last night's actions, which were meant to degrade the Syrian regime's chemical weapons capability and to deter further chemical weapon attacks against the people of Syria", Stoltenberg said at a press point following the North Atlantic Council (NAC) meeting on Syria, April 14, as reported by an UNIAN correspondent in Brussels.
Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said the attack was a "crime" and declared Theresa May, Donald trump and Emmanuel Macron "criminals".
North Atlantic Treaty Organisation said the strikes had wholesale support.
U.S., France and Britain are set to come together with and brief North Atlantic Treaty Organisation allies on the strikes on Syria in an emergency meeting on April 14, Reuters reported. Stoltenberg's statement was made public on the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation website.
Jeremy Corbyn said the military action against Syria was "legally questionable" and makes real accountability for war crimes less likely.
- Erdoğan and Putin discuss Syria crisis in phone call, seek solution
- Moto G6 Play images posted on Instagram with specs
- Drinking too much can take years off of your life
- Tornado watch issued Friday for North Texas
- Kylie Jenner Debuts Pink Hair Ahead of Coachella
- NTSB says it removed Tesla from deadly crash investigation, Tesla disputes claim
- Top Homeland Security aide quits on Bolton's second day
- Paul Ryan endorses Kevin McCarthy as next speaker
- Telegram chat app blocked in Russian Federation
- Actor, comedian Will Ferrell hospitalized after serious auto accident