Tuesday, 26 March 2019
Latest news
Main » Police called to hospital protest for terminally ill boy Alfie Evans

Police called to hospital protest for terminally ill boy Alfie Evans

14 April 2018
Police called to hospital protest for terminally ill boy Alfie Evans

The latest legal challenge has been set for Monday after hundreds of people gathered outside the hospital to protest the decision made to turn off the toddler's life support.

Mr. Evans told the BBC that he and Alfie's mother, Kate James, are being accompanied by Polish doctors and have a private ambulance and jet ready to take their son to Italy, asserting that the hospital has no legal right to stop them.

And today they returned to protest further against the decision taken by Mr Justice Hayden, who ruled that it was in Alfie's best interests for his treatment to be withdrawn.

"Last night Mr Justice Hayden ordered that Alfie can not be removed from Alder Hey Children's Hospital pending the hearing before the Court of Appeal on Monday".

Little Alfie suffers an incurable brain condition, and specialists at Alder Hey Children's Hospital recommended his life support machine be switched off, leading to a series of court battles from his parents.

Alfie's parents want him to be removed from Alder Hey and taken to the Bambino Gesu hospital - which has links to the Vatican.

The lawyers representing Alfie's parents, the Christian Legal Centre, released a statement this afternoon saying that the toddler's life support can not be turned off until the appeal is heard on Monday, April 16. Alfie will continue to receive treatment pending that hearing.

Officials from the appeals court confirmed a hearing has been listed for Monday April 16, although it is unclear what basis it has been granted on.

Footage posted online showed Alfie's parents receiving huge applause as they joined the significant crowd of protesters who were chanting Alfie's name.

The family's legal team at the Christian Legal Centre said an air ambulance team whose services were engaged by the couple was blocked by Alder Hey from taking Alfie to overseas.

He stated the hospital had "falsely claimed" Alfie was a ward of court and the delay meant the youngster had missed the flight, which was chartered from Liverpool John Lennon Airport.

On Thursday night Mr Evans filmed an emotional video from his son's bedside in which he said: "I have documentation saying that I have the right to take my son out of this hospital". "Look at my healthy, healthy young boy who is undiagnosed, who is certainly not dying".

He added: "They have phoned the police over a child ..."

Mr Evans encouraged people to come to the hospital to stand outside and "tell them to release our son" in a "quiet protest".

Merseyside Police said on Thursday night that they were at the protest outside Alder Hey Children's Hospital and said access to the hospital was being disrupted.

During the case, judges heard that Alfie, born on May 9 2016, is in a "semi-vegetative state" and has a degenerative neurological condition that doctors have not definitively diagnosed.