Police, including the K-9 team, had gone to the house to arrest Latanowich, who was wanted on a prior charge and was considered risky.
Gannon joined the Yarmouth force in 2010 and previously worked with the Stonehill College and Nantucket police departments, according to WCVB.
A police officer was shot and killed Thursday afternoon while serving a warrant in the Cape Cod town of Barnstable, Massachusetts.
He pleaded not guilty to murder at Barnstable District Court on Friday.
"We will together get through this, and we plan to keep Sean's memory alive", said Frederickson".
"I'm just disgusted with what was dealt to officer Gannon", Yarmouth Police Chief Frank Frederickson said during a press conference Thursday night at the department's headquarters.
Latanowich's next court date was scheduled for June 26.
"We refer to him as the Tom Brady of the Yarmouth Police Department and he's gone".
The suspect, who has a criminal history, is now in custody, but a shootout with police ensued around 5:45 p.m. after the suspect fatally shot Gannon, CBS 5 reported.
Gannon was Yarmouth's first full-time K-9 patrol officer, and his dog, Nero, was also shot in the incident, according to Boston ABC affiliate WCVB. "Our department is going to miss him terribly". Dennis Veterinary Hospital posted on Facebook that Nero was shot in the face and neck but has been stabilized and faces surgery Friday.
During a ceremony honoring two New Bedford police officers this morning, the city paid its respects to Gannon, as well.
Latanowich, a career criminal with 111 prior charges on his record, was arrested after an hours-long standoff with police.
- In a World Designed for Morning People, Night Owls May Die Earlier
- Ex-FBI deputy director faulted by Justice Dept. on media disclosure
- Who would be Mueller's boss if Rosenstein goes?
- China March new loans rise to 1.12 trln yuan but miss forecasts
- Kathua, Unnao rape-case
- Taliban Kill a Governor and Overrun a Government Compound
- Friday of protest in Gaza
- President Trump Pardons Scooter Libby
- Unnao rape case: CBI arrests accused BJP MLA Kuldeep Sengar
- Moving forward from the Zuckerberg testimony