Earlier in the day, the Allahabad high court ordered that the MLA should be arrested "forthwith".
With possibility of arrest of BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Senger, the Special Investigation Team (SIT) tonight submitted it's interim probe report to the Uttar Pradesh government.
Hours later, the CBI which had brought Sengar to its Lucknow office at around 5 am for questioning, arrested him.
Sengar, a four-term MLA, enjoys vast clout cutting across party lines in the rural areas around Unnao district, a semi-urban area about 70 km from Lucknow. Sengar is likely to be produced by the CBI in court on Saturday. "Investigation has been handed over to the CBI".
In the first FIR, the CBI named Sengar and Shashi Singh, a woman who allegedly took the rape victim to the BJP leader's house.
The alleged rape case has been referred to the CBI by the UP government.
In February, the girl's family had moved the court, seeking to include the MLA's name in the case.
Atul Singh was arrested on Tuesday, days after police attempts at a cover-up.
During the meeting, they took details of the "line of treatment" given to victims father when he was rushed to the hospital buy the police with 18 wounds and a ruptured intestine, due to beating by the lawmaker's brother and their close aides along with the police.
Union minister Smriti Irani said stern action will be taken against those found guilty in the Unnao rape case and condemned any efforts to "politicise" such cases. Now three cases has been registered against Kuldeep Singh Sengar.
However, as the murder charge against Atul was added later by the police, the second FIR does not reflect in the CBI's FIR.
The cases pertain to the alleged gangrape of the girl by Sengar and his brothers, her father's custodial death and an Arms Act case that was slapped against him for which he was arrested by local police. He also suffered 18 serious wounds as per the post mortem report.
"Those who are raising a hue and cry are shedding crocodile tears for women.those who held a candlelight march last night (Thursday) should remember that the "tandoor case" had taken place during their government and what all were done by their men", Singh said.
- BKN--76ers-Embiid Injured, 1st Ld-Writethru,450547
- Red Sox starter leaves after one inning with possible injury
- Comey: John Kelly called Trump "dishonorable" for firing me
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- President Trump Pardons Scooter Libby
- Security concerns forces Chennai Super Kings to move base to Pune
- Taliban Kill a Governor and Overrun a Government Compound
- Cristiano Ronaldo can not understand Juventus complaints over last-gasp penalty
- Spotify And Hulu Shake Hand For $13 Subscription Plan
- Conn. sub teacher arrested for holding after school 'fight club'