Four children and three adults have been found dead at a home in rural Western Australia.
Mr Dawson said the bodies discovered at the scene had "gunshot wounds" and firearms were found at the scene. Based on what we do know, this is clearly a tragedy.
He could not reveal any more about the identity of the people either, as police were still trying to locate next of kin, but he said police believed all seven appeared to be residents of that property.
Police said they responded to an early-morning phone call and arrived to find a "horrific incident" in the small town of Osmington near the world-renowned wine-growing area south of Perth.
Police are not looking for anyone else in regards to the tragedy, suggesting a murder suicide.
"We have no information to say there are any other public safety concerns at this stage". Dawson refused to be drawn on who the person was that alerted police, their relationship to the victims or whether they heard gunshots.
It's understood three generations of the same farming family were involved in the tragedy at Osmington, northeast of Margaret River.
The president of the Shire of Augusta-Margaret River said the tragic deaths at a property south-west of Perth have impacted upon everyone in the community.
- Rockets have last, best chance to put stop to Warriors dynasty
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Junket tourism
- Almost all of Iran's military capabilities in Syria destroyed
- Allardyce unsure about Rooney's future
- Arsene Wenger blames poor officiating for Leicester defeat
- Process Stopped: Celtics Down Sixers to Set Up Showdown with Cavaliers
- Frantic mom grabs sheriff's deputy to save baby's life
- David Price (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome) Could Make Next Start
- United Kingdom govt apologises, awards compensation to Libya's Belhaj