While the "great escape" is one to be enjoyed, in terms of travel delays, you might as well call it the "grate escape" - AAA said delays could be three times longer than normal for some. AAA said this is the fifth consecutive year that Memorial Day weekend air travel has grown. Travel times during these peak hours could double and even triple in places like NY, the release said.
"Plan ahead. Travel off-peak". The national average has increased 15.4 cents per gallon during the last month and stands 53.8 cents per gallon higher than this day one year ago.
The worst times to travel?
Traffic is expected to be heaviest on the Thursday and Friday before Memorial Day, which is May 28 this year, due to the mix of travelers and commuters. Several major USA metros, including Los Angeles and San Francisco, could experience double the travel times compared to a normal trip.
AAA East Central is a not-for-profit association with 80 local offices in Kentucky, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia serving 2.7 million members.
Experts have some words of wisdom, however.
AAA predicts drivers will experience the most congestion on roadways on May 24 and May 25, in the late afternoon.
"We expect gas prices to continue to rise well into Memorial Day weekend and toward the beginning of June". The average price nationally is $2.87, while California is highest in the nation at $3.69.
But that is not expected to keep drivers at home.
A large number of people traveling for Memorial Day this year - 36.6 million people to be exact - are expected to travel by vehicle, and that's up 4.7 percent from last year.
Expect crowded roads as some Floridians heading out for an escape on Memorial Day weekend compete with the growing number of tourists aiming to get into the Sunshine State for the holiday. "To avoid auto trouble, the club advises adhering to the BET acronym: "(Have) your Battery tested, (look) for Engine coolant leaks and (check) your Tire condition".
- Trump speech "silly and superficial", Iran's Supreme Leader says
- Sheriff's Office: Nearly-naked man causes bomb scare at Daytona airport
- Footage from scene of Offaly light aircraft crash
- Google to roll out 'Take a Break' feature for YouTubers
- USA sends aircraft to bring back Col Joseph from Pakistan
- Trump says he's working with China to save ZTE
- 46th match (D/N), Indian Premier League at Pune, May 13 2018
- Florida impacted by salmonella outbreak traced to eggs sold at Publix, Walmart
- Nadal breezes into last 16 in Madrid, but some other seeds fall
- Ryan Reynolds Plays 'Deadpool' Video Game for the First Time