Antoine Griezmann's double and captain Gabi's late goal secured a 3-0 victory for Atletico Madrid over Marseille in Wednesday's 2018 Europa League final - with Diego Simeone's side deserved winners both on the night and of the competition.
Victory in the Europa League was a dream come true for the outgoing Atletico Madrid forward, Fernando Torres who claims it was a flawless end to his time with the club.
Griezmann, as he showed in Lyon, has a knack for celebration but, for France to have the best chance possible of replicating their triumph of 1998, he needs to be doing so alongside Payet.
Griezmann pounced in the 21st minute, slotting coolly into the bottom left corner after being set up by midfielder Gabi's pass.
Marseille had been desperate to win the second European trophy in their history, on French soil, 25 years after beating AC Milan in the inaugural Champions League final.
"We missed our chance in the first half".
They now must overhaul third-placed Olympique Lyonnais, who they trail by one point in the Ligue 1 standings heading into the final weekend of the season.
They were made to pay for their inability to put the Spanish side behind when a costly error by Andre Zambo Anguissa was punished by Greizmann as he slid the ball past Steve Mandanda in goal.
The French side should have been ahead inside the opening four minutes with Payet feeding Valere Germain, who could only fire wide when through on goal.
The 37-times capped France playmaker's fitness has been the biggest concern for Marseille fans in recent days, and they will have been pleased to hear him say he is fine after a minor muscle injury prevented him from playing in their last league game.
"It is a dream for me to win a title".
"Griezmann took full advantage", Marseille coach Rudi Garcia said.
"I think now is not the moment to talk about my future, I just want to enjoy myself after my performance, after winning a trophy and I want to celebrate with the fans", Griezmann said.
This will be the first meeting between Marseille and Atlético Madrid in European competition since 2008/09, when the Spaniards went unbeaten against them in the Champions League group stage (W1 D1).
- Crimean Bridge: Ukraine wants to bill Russian Federation for future 'financial losses'
- PSX plunges by over 1000 points after Nawaz's Mumbai attacks remarks
- Gael Clichy: People need to remember Arsene Wenger's Arsenal achievements
- US Lawmakers Push Back on Trump Talk of Helping China's ZTE
- Chrissy Teigen And John Legend Announce Birth Of Second Baby
- Severe thunderstorms possible this afternoon, evening
- YouTube launches subscription music service, renames Red YouTube Premium
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Cast Talks About Han Solo Film
- Paparazzi scandal pitches United Kingdom royal wedding into crisis
- Malaysian police raids former PM's residence