Overall leader Simon Yates gained three bonus seconds in the 10th stage of the Giro d'Italia on Tuesday but it was a hard day for his Mitchelton-Scott team as Esteban Chaves dropped out of contention. He is one of just two British riders with more than one stage win in the same Giro, the other being Mark Cavendish.
Yates stretched his advantage to 47 seconds over Dutchman Dumoulin in the overall classification.
However, while his unlikely odds of overall victory get longer by the day, Bennett's prospects of a top 10 - or top five - finish continue to improve, with several of his general classification rivals suffering worse fates on the frenetic finish to a fast-paced stage.
On Monday's rest day, Pinot had already warned of the dangers of the Giro's traversal of Umbria and the Marche, and suggested that he was already expecting to lose ground to more explosive riders like Yates.
"Now all of our energy will turn to looking out for Simon and protecting the maglia rosa (pink jersey)", White said.
Yates picked up three more seconds on defending champion Tom Dumoulin by taking bonuses from the intermediate sprint, but saw Mitchelton-Scott team-mate Esteban Chaves lose second place overall and drop out of the top 10 in a blow for his team.
"I'm glad to getting more time on Tom Dumoulin".
The four-time Tour de France victor now trails his fellow Briton by three minutes and 20 seconds as his hopes of winning the race continue to fade. Dumoulin has been consistent but unspectacular when the road has climbed to this point, but his fierce pursuit of Yates at Osimo suggested that his condition is in crescendo as the Giro reaches its midway point. Both made it back to the main pack. I'm not very good in a sprint from a slow speed so I launched and I increased my speed as much as I could.
Before the sprint, Mohoric glanced over his shoulder to check on Denz but the German never passed him and Mohoric won in slightly more than six hours.
"The team is motivated and I'm motivated".
"I'm delighted that I have taken this opportunity", said former UAE Team Emirates rider Mohoric.
"I don't know, I really don't know", Dumoulin explained.
- Co-pilot survives being sucked halfway out of cockpit window
- Barcelona's unbeaten season halted by little Levante
- Griezmann pounces twice as Atletico sink hapless Marseille
- Paparazzi scandal pitches United Kingdom royal wedding into crisis
- US Lawmakers Push Back on Trump Talk of Helping China's ZTE
- With friends like Trump, who needs enemies — European Union chief
- The Boston Celtics used LeBron James' great start against him
- Alan Shearer reacts to Mike Ashley's end of season statement at Newcastle
- Severe thunderstorms possible this afternoon, evening
- YouTube launches subscription music service, renames Red YouTube Premium