In the ancient days, May Day was celebrated as the Beltane festival, by the Celts in the British isle, and symbolized transition every year from dark to light and fertility in the world.
May Day celebrations, also known as International Workers Day started in Chicago in 1886, when workers demanded and won an eight-hour workday, today it will be celebrated by workers from Albania to Zaire.
The beginning was made on May 1, 1886 in the USA when unions conduct unofficial national strike, which involved over 300,000 workers across the country demanding the introduction of an official eight-hour day.
This year, protestors are expected to march in London in support of workers' rights and trade unions.
Labour is just not a person who work in the factories or at construction sites but also every individual who works in MNC and seats in front of the computer.
Generally, on labour Day, public speeches are delivered by leaders of various political parties.
Pakistan's first labor policy was devised in 1972, in which May 1 was declared an official holiday. "I have high expectations for the model workers to make new achievements and inspire others by demonstrating their passion, motivation and persistence", President Xi wrote in the letter as ANI informed.
The latest Google Doodle celebrates Labour Day with an illustration showing the Google logo being assembled by a variety of tools and surrounded by things such as builders' helmets, a spade and pipes. To honour the contributions of the labourers, Labour Day was established. "It gives us a chance to show gratitude for workers' grit, dedication, ingenuity and strength, which define our nation's character".
"The best workers, like the happiest livers, look upon their work as a kind of game: the harder they play the more enjoyable it becomes". "We also need equal pay for equal work". Some business owners resisted that, though, and workers in Chicago (many of whom were immigrants) began a strike for the reduced hours.
- Pakistan condemns twin terrorist attacks in Kabul
- Bill Cosby juror reveals Cosby's own comments led to conviction
- Kim Kardashian on Tristan Thompson: 'It's just so [bleeped] up'
- Twitter sold data to app creator involved in Cambridge Analytica scandal
- Barnier calls for rapid agreement on Irish border
- New secretary of state says Israel, Palestinian peace still a US priority
- Taiwan dumped by Dominican Republic amid pressure from China
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Liverpool's Salah says dispute with Egyptian football authorities nearly resolved
- Junket tourism