The White House said she is expected to remain at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center for the rest of the week.
Trump had been experiencing issues with her kidney and was admitted at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center outside Washington, D.C., for an "embolization procedure", the first lady's communications director, Stephanie Grisham, said in a statement. "Thank you to all of the well-wishers!"
Melania's not the only first lady to undergo surgery, but a hospitalization this long hasn't occurred for a first lady since Nancy Reagan back in 1987.
The Slovenian-born first lady last week rolled out an agenda for her White House work focused on helping children. Dr. Craig Rogers, the head of Henry Ford Hospital's Renal Surgery said she likely had some painful symptoms. Doctors do that with an embolization, meaning a catheter is snaked into the blood vessels of the kidney to find the right one and block it.
President Donald Trump is expected to visit first lady Melania Trump in hospital later. Instead, he attended a daily intelligence briefing at 11 a.m., had lunch with Vice President Mike Pence at 12:30 p.m., and also called a number of important figures.
While there's no indication whether Mrs. Trump's procedure was an emergency or planned, LaPook said after this kind of procedure, it would not be at all unusual to keep her in the hospital for observation for a number of days.
Trump is working on an anti-bullying campaign to teach children to behave with more consideration and kindness on social media. Grisham, who has visited the first lady, later told CBS that the first lady is "doing very well" and is in "good spirits".
A spokeswoman for the First Lady declined to offer more details on her condition, but said the 48-year-old is recovering.
- Di Francesco: Roma must learn from Juventus
- Gov. Bruce Rauner wants to reinstate death penalty to curb violence
- Houston Rockets Drop Game 1 WCF to Warriors in Houston
- Asteroid 2010 WC9 to flyby Earth on May 15
- Jared Kushner Says Palestinian Protestors Are 'Part of the Problem'
- Manchester City shot-stopper Ederson pens extension to 2025
- Neighbours say family responsible seemed like 'ordinary' people — Surabaya bombings
- Overwatch Free Weekend Returns May 25-28
- NY killer nanny sentenced to life in prison
- Junket tourism