'Reports indicate that the Nipah cases originated in, and are now contained in the area around Kozhikode, a northern district of Kerala. The Collector said that the advisory has been issued by the hospitals to their staff and a press release has been given to them. Samples from dead bats were collected and sent to the National Institute of Virology for testing and all the samples were reported negative for the Nipah virus.
Fruit bats may not be the reason for the mind harming NIPAH (NiV) infection that executed 12 individuals and contaminated 20 in southern Kerala, a restorative test report has said.
In a major relief to the District Administration, a youth, who was suspected to be infected by the deadly Nipah Virus (NiV) and was being treated at the isolated ward of the K.R. Hospital in city has been certified not Nipah-infected. Authorities have now made a decision to conduct more tests to locate its source. It is related to the Hendra virus, and is one of the World Health Organization's priority diseases. The vaccine is based on Nipah and Hendra virus technology that got its start more than 15 years ago by scientists at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences and has already done through multiple preclinical trials.
The virus can cause a range of mild to severe disease in domestic animals such as pigs while in humans, the infection causes a range of clinical presentations, from asymptomatic infection to acute respiratory infection and fatal encephalitis.
The Nipah virus outbreak in Kerala has perhaps been one of the biggest health challenges the State has faced in recent times.
Nipah virus is a newly emerging disease that can cause serious harm to both humans and animals.
Meanwhile, the Kerala government has said travellers need to avoid only Kozhikode and Malappuram districts from where the deaths have been reported. The natural host of the virus are fruit bats of the Pteropodidae Family, Pteropus genus. "That is when we made a decision to bring the remaining members of the family to the hospital and keep them under observation", said Anoop Kumar.
On Thursday, medical workers in white plastic suits and breathing masks buried the latest victim in the town of Kozhikode, placing his plastic-wrapped corpse in the red earth. It can be prevented by controlling the virus in domestic animals, educating and creating awareness on the disease, and controlling infection in health-care settings.
During previous outbreaks in India, first in 2001 and then in 2007, more than 50 people have died.
- Alan Bean, fourth person to walk on the moon, has died
- Daniel Ricciardo storms to dominant pole position at Monaco Grand Prix
- Two suspected cases of Nipah virus reported from a second Indian state
- Star Wars Boba Fett Movie In Development From 'Logan' Director
- Trump says Korea talks "going along very well'"
- Indy 500: Danica Patrick CRASHES out in final race of her career
- Korean leaders meet after Trump threatens to quit Kim summit
- Abortion referendum: Ireland on brink of history as ‘No’ campaign concedes defeat
- Kevin Love out for Game 7 vs. Celtics with concussion-like symptoms
- American Imprisoned in Venezuela Returns to the United States After Two Years