As per the statement of the police regarding the investigation, they said, " We are now investigating a minor injury collision involving two vehicles, one of which is a Waymo autonomous vehicle. As the Honda swerved, it entered the westbound lanes of Chandler Boulevard and ended up hitting the Waymo minivan.
"There was an occupant in the Waymo vehicle sitting in the driver's seat, who sustained minor injuries", he added. It's unclear at this stage what caused the silver Honda to swerve across the road into the path of the Waymo minivan.
In a statement, Chandler Police said that a Honda sedan swerved from its lane to avoid a collision with another vehicle.
This is not the first time an autonomous vehicle is involved in a crash. Tyler went on to say the "The Waymo vehicle was rolling, but I don't think it was going very fast". Uber suspended its self-driving vehicle testing after that incident. The Waymo self-driving auto was said to be travelling at a low speed which minimised the impact of the crash.
This is the second known self-driving auto crash in the Phoenix area in the past two months.
The head of Waymo, formerly Google's driverless vehicle project, said at the time his company's technology could have avoided that accident. That vehicle was also in autonomous vehicle mode when the collision occurred. Waymo has even gone as far to phase out human test drivers in its vehicles, which local residents have been riding as part of a public trial.
In March, Uber's self-driving vehicle struck and killed a pedestrian.
Self-driving vehicles might be the future of transportation.
- Grandpa trips armed suspect who was running from police
- Baker Mayfield hungry to get Cleveland Browns back to tradition of winning
- Crystal Palace End Stoke's Decade In EPL
- 2 securiy personnel injured in ongoing encounter in Shopian
- Tesla drops in premarket after Musk lets loose on call
- GGG treats Vanes Martirosyan like a punching bag in easy win
- High winds expected through Friday evening
- Manchester City celebrate title win in Italy
- Nigeria's Buhari stops in London on return from US
- 50 awardees boycott 65th National Film Awards ceremony