Eastburn continued: "In light of this information, it was not prudent for the Department's exchanges to continue selling them".
In response to the U.S. government coordinated action - which also encompasses Huawei's networking gear as well as its smartphones - Huawei has reportedly axed staff "across the board" at is US-based headquarters.
"Huawei and ZTE devices may pose an unacceptable risk to Department's personnel, information and mission", Pentagon spokesperson Major David Eastburb said in a statement. The company markets telecommunications services and devices to USA service members overseas.
Washington imposed sanctions on ZTE last month for breaking an agreement to punish employees after the Chinese maker of smartphones and telecoms gear shipped US goods to Iran in violation of USA sanctions. The order does not ban servicemembers from owning devices from the two companies or bringing them to work.
"These products were removed from exchange service stores and exchange concessionaires worldwide", Eastburn said. But he said they "must be mindful of the security risks associated with the use of" devices. ZTE has largely weathered the broader USA spying concerns better, due in part to a broader footprint in the States than Huawei, but the company admitted that this latest ban would be downright devestating.
The campaign against Huawei and ZTE dates back to 2012 when the House Intelligence Committee issued a report warning that the firms might be using their entrance into the US market as a way to spy for the Chinese government - allegations Huawei and ZTE have both rejected.
Representatives of Huawei and ZTE could not be reached immediately for comment on the possible executive action, though both have denied allegations their products are used to spy.
- Comedian Bill Cosby found guilty in Andrea Constand Sexual Assault Trial
- Bellew vs Haye 2 - London Donnybrook Expected
- Driver in Deadly Park Slope Crash Arrested, Charged
- Sridevi gets first National Award posthumously
- Judge Accuses Mueller Team of Prosecuting Manafort to Get Info on Trump
- President Trump to appoint Bill Belichick to his sports council
- Melaye Arrives Lokoja Court In Police Ambulance
- 4 people found dead in Grand Forks, North Dakota, home
- Rihanna Says Her and Drake Aren't Friends But They Aren't Enemies Either
- The truth about sex after 65