Benchmark equity indices extended losses in late afternoon trade, with the Sensex falling over 150 points tacking losses in global equities.
Among the sectoral indices on the BSE, Metal was down 3.4 per cent, followed by Basic Materials (-2.11 per cent), Realty (-1.75 per cent), Consumer Durables (-1.33), Utilities (-1.31), IT (-1.17), Auto (- 1.09) and Power (-1.09 per cent). The Sensex lost 54.32 points, or 0.16 per cent, while the Nifty dropped 74.05 points, or 0.69 per cent during the week.
Among other Asian markets, Hong Kong's Hang Seng shed 0.74 per cent, while Shanghai Composite Index lost 0.26 per cent in early trade today.
Forex dealers said besides selling of the American currency by exporters and banks, weakness in the dollar against other currencies as senior Chinese and USA officials met in Beijing today for a second day of trade talks, supported the domestic unit. The Shanghai Composite index was nearly flat at 3,081.18 and South Korea's Kospi gave up 0.4 percent to 2,505.61.
The broader NSE Nifty was down 0.54 percent at 10,622, as of 614 GMT.
Market breadth was negative with 882 advances against 853 declines.
Meanwhile, the rupee closed at 66.87 against the U.S. dollar, down 22 paise compared to previous close.
Sun Pharma, Yes Bank, Bajaj Auto and ITC were among the major losers on Sensex with their stocks ending as much as 2.95 per cent lower.
Mid-sized IT services firm Hexaware Technologies share price fell 14 percent despite it posted a 11 percent rise QoQ in consolidated net profit at Rs 134.3 crore for the quarter ended March 31, 2018.
Investors were cautious after a largely weak performance on Wall Street overnight as some disappointing earnings reports offset strong economic data, while bond yields slid after a surprising slowdown in euro zone inflation.
Siemens dropped 2 percent on reporting an 18 percent increase in quarterly profit.
PC Jeweller was the top gainer on BSE rising 43.72% or 53 points to 174.55 level.
- Ichiro Suzuki Joins Seattle Mariners In Front Office Role
- 1 killed, 3 missing after quake strikes Polish coal mine
- Palestinian protesters shoot down Israeli drone with stones
- Preparations on in full swing for Sonam Kapoor's wedding
- 'Drunk' United Airlines stewardess disrupts flight with foul-mouthed rant
- Brighton ensure survival with 1-0 win over Man United
- RUSSIA: Security operatives arrest opposition leader, activists before Putin's inauguration
- U.S. mulls quotas on steel, aluminum after extending deadline
- Local elections: No clear victor , Labour and Tories neck and neck
- Cricket player is giving us lecture on roads: Ahsan Iqbal