Volusia County deputies say the man was naked, and ran through the airport, into a restricted area.
Chitwood revealed Greenwood was "well known" to local police and had been arrested a number of times previously.
'This is one of those things where truth is stranger than fiction, to say the least, ' Chitwood said at a news conference, several hours after the airport was evacuated.
The Wesh 2 News news article expanded on the story, saying that the man entered the airport using some type of bag as clothing; he later emerged naked after leaving an airport bathroom without the bag.
Greenwood created or enlarged a hole in the bathroom wall and placed his belongings inside, Chitwood said.
As News4Jax reported, records show that Greenwood is awaiting trial stemming from a 2017 arrest for battery on a first responder.
Deputies deployed their Tasers to subdue him after he got on the baggage carousel.
"#BREAKING: Naked man claims to have bomb, causes scare at #DaytonaBeach Int'l Airport acc to VCSO".
The man has at least twice before been taken into involuntary custody under the states Baker Act for mental evaluation, the Chitwood said. As he was detained, the suspect told deputies they had to get out of the airport. "Usually they close a small area if they find (an unattended) bag, but I've never seen them empty out the whole terminal". The bomb is going to go off.
The nude man didn't immediately respond to commands, so a deputy used a Taser on him. The bomb squad determined there was no bomb. That's when he told them he planted a bomb somewhere in the airport.
"This is all federal, what he did here", Chitwood said, adding that he believed the FBI would be investigating.
Deputies informed the man that he needed to wait to have the Taser barbs removed. As of Friday morning, he remained at Halifax Health Medical Center, Chitwood said.
Airport staff evacuated a maximum of 225 people, mainly passengers from an American Airlines and a Delta flight, outside as deputies began searching the bathrooms of the airport.
- Spin unseen on TV behind Daniel Ricciardo time loss
- Florida impacted by salmonella outbreak traced to eggs sold at Publix, Walmart
- Iran's Foreign Minister in China to rescue nuclear deal
- Google to roll out 'Take a Break' feature for YouTubers
- Nadal breezes into last 16 in Madrid, but some other seeds fall
- David de Gea: 'This has been my best season at Old Trafford'
- Footage from scene of Offaly light aircraft crash
- Neymar 2000 percent certain to stay, says PSG president
- 46th match (D/N), Indian Premier League at Pune, May 13 2018
- Spanish GP: Lewis Hamilton wins to increase F1 title lead