Initially the police suspected suicide. They were having regular fights, which she had confided in other persons too. Initial probe indicated that Sunanda died due to drug overdose and a strip of the sleeping pills were found in her hotel room.
Tharoor was a cabinet minister at the time of Pushkar's death and rumours and publicity have engulfed the former junior foreign minister ever since.
Her viscera samples were sent to Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL) for further tests.
2/2) it does not speak well of the methods or motivations of the Delhi Police. Swamy said that "very influential people are involved in the case, leading to attempts to protect them, and the matter has faced a lot of unnecessary delay already".
An FIR was registered by the Delhi Police on January 1, 2015 against unknown persons under IPC Section 302 (murder). The FBI report, however, said it had failed to measure the amount of alprazolam in Sunanda's body because of the poor way the viscera samples had been preserved by the Hyderabad lab. Congress sources on Monday conceded that the almost 3,000-page chargesheet naming Tharoor as the only accused in the case was inevitable as Sunanda had died within seven years of her marriage. The couple were staying in the hotel as their house was being renovated but on the day, when she did not wake from her sleep, Shashi Tharoor informed the Police.
March 2016: Mehr Tarar was called to Delhi for interrogation. The court dismissed his petition.
Swamy had earlier told the court that there has been constant attempt to block the investigation into the death of Pushkar.
The Delhi police charged Tharoor with "abetment of suicide" and subjecting his wife Sunanda Pushkar to cruelty under the Penal Code.
The magistrate fixed May 23 as the date of taking cognisance of the charge sheet.
In July a year ago, BJP leader Subramanian Swamy filed a PIL demanding a time-bound court-monitored probe in the case since it involved influential people whom he thought were being shielded or were causing unnecessary delay in the delivery of due justice.
- Sheriff's Office: Nearly-naked man causes bomb scare at Daytona airport
- Iraq Elections Strengthen Victories against Terrorists: Iran
- Florida impacted by salmonella outbreak traced to eggs sold at Publix, Walmart
- Salma Hayek Calls For Reparations For Actresses Who Have Been Underpaid
- Cannes festival organisers vow to improve gender equality
- Pennsylvanians set to go to polls for primaries on Tuesday
- Ryan Reynolds Plays 'Deadpool' Video Game for the First Time
- Sports betting ruling good news for Catskill casino
- Father and mother tortured, neglected 10 children in Fairfield, police say
- Trump speech "silly and superficial", Iran's Supreme Leader says