The Met department in its evening weather warning bulletin predicted thunderstorm accompanied with squall (wind speed reaching 5070 kmph) and hail very likely at isolated places over Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
The dust storm is said to have damaged several houses, uprooted trees and brought down electric poles in several places.
No significant weather warning has been issued for Delhi either. IMD warns that winds at a speed of 50-70 kilometers per hour may gush in the region.
In Jammu and Kashmir's Rajouri, hailstorm preceded by heavy rains hit Thanamandi area in the evening, prompting authorities to launch a massive rescue operation, a senior official said. Delhi Traffic and Delhi Metro, too, announced precautionary measures.
At the same time, the Delhi Traffic Police has advised commuters to plan their journey after checking the weather conditions.
In a separate advisory, the Delhi Traffic Police asked people to avoid driving during a storm, keep away from overhead electrical wires/tinned roofs/trees while parking and also advised them to take shelter under concrete or other strong structures. Our correspondent reports, a separate alert has been issued for Saharanpur and Baharaich districts. The Haryana government has also canceled the leaves of all municipal officials and fire and emergency services have been put on alert.
Apart from the northern states and west Madhya Pradesh, dust-storms with gusty winds are also likely to hit isolated places in north-eastern states, including Assam, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram, Tripura and also Bihar.
The severe and erratic weather conditions have been attributed to a western disturbance.
Parts of Delhi witnessed a dust storm coupled with a drizzle in the evening, with MeT department keeping an eye on its progress.
At least 124 people were killed and more than 300 others injured in five states due to dust storms, thunderstorms and lightning last week.
- New York AG Resigns Hours After Explosive Assault Allegations
- Quarterback Joe Burrow will transfer from Ohio State
- Toronto Raptors: 3 takeaways from Game 4 vs. Cavaliers
- Rory McIlroy and Tiger Woods left frustrated at Quail Hollow
- China trade talks to continue in Washington
- Bill & Ted 3 Confirmed, Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter Officially Set
- Female filmmakers at Cannes
- Carvalhal assured Swansea will beat Southampton
- Cannes Film Festival Is Set To Show Strength Of Women
- Sonam Kapoor's pre-wedding ceremonies begin