In comparison, Iceland has a population of around 337,000, ranks 22nd in the world and is appearing in the World Cup for the first time. If he had scored the penalty, I would have given him a 6.
On the show, Cuccittini said that it's Messi's dream to win a World Cup, but that the pressure he's under is enormous. "I told him to do what he knows best, to enjoy himself and I've told him all his family are supporting him". "[Angel] Di Maria did not beat his opponent once, the midfielders did not support him".
He has scored 64 goals in 124 global appearances for Argentina.
To add insult to injury, after Argentina's 2014 World Cup loss, the team then went on to lose in the finals at the Copa America in two straight years.
Many football fans believe that Messi must win the World Cup to cement his status as the greatest footballer of all time, above the likes of Pele and his compatriot Diego Maradona. Yes, we have lost three finals in recent years, but we reached three finals and that was a good achievement.
Indeed, there's a real chance that Argentina will fail to escape their group at this World Cup after being held to a 1-1 draw by Iceland in their opener.
"There were lots of factors of irritation for not winning against Iceland".
Sampaoli also appealed to Argentines to stop arguing about whether Messi is better or worse than Maradona, who won the World Cup in 1986, and appreciate both men's contributions to their nation's sporting history. Messi is a fantastic player.
"We need to figure out how I would fit on the team because, as you said, I used to play in the same position he plays and lately I have been used to playing in that position".
It seemed that there could only be one outcome as Messi squared up to Iceland keeper Hannes Halldórsson, as the ultimate giant of the game stepped up to slay the upset kings of global football.
"Football, the World Cup, would not be the same without Messi".
- Giant Hogweed, plant that causes third-degree burns and blindness, is spreading
- US Senate approves bill reinstating ban on ZTE
- Morocco Player Claims Referee Asked Pepe For Cristiano Ronaldo's Shirt
- Trump Signs Order to End Family Separation Policy
- PUBG reaches 400 million players, sells over 50 million copies
- AMC Theaters Set to Challenge MoviePass With New $20 Subscription Plan
- Bithumb Hacked Second Time in a Year. Hackers Steal $31 Million
- New Zealand gets new prime minister as Jacinda Ardern goes into labor
- Diego Costa digs Spain's escape route against gutsy Iran to level Portugal
- Palace says UK's Prince Louis to be christened July 9