Dr. Pitt and his firm, Steven Pitt & Associates, frequently consulted with the Phoenix Police Department, Sergeant Lewis said, most notably in the recent case involving the so-called serial street shooter, in which a suspect is in jail awaiting trial.
Pitt was involved in the police investigation into the 1996 murder of JonBenet Ramsey.
The third victim, Steven Pitt, is a forensic psychiatrist who worked on Phoenix's Baseline Killer case and the JonBenét Ramsey murder.
One woman managed to escape the building but died after being transported to a hospital.
Witnesses heard a loud argument and gunfire Thursday outside Pitt's office, which borders on Scottsdale.
The victims - Veleria Sharp, 48, and Laura Anderson, 49 - both worked as paralegals at the Law office of Burt, Feldman, Grenier in Scottsdale, Ariz., Scottsdale police said, according to 12 News. She was pronounced dead at the scene from a gunshot wound.
Sgt. Ben Hoster, a spokesman for the Scottsdale Police Department, told reporters Saturday that Pitt's killing was related to the second shooting, which happened at about 2 p.m. Friday.
A US$1000 has been offered for the capture of the killer, who has been described as a bald Caucasian man that was wearing a dark hat with a short brim at the time.
They were shot, police said in a news release. Hoster did not identify the caller but said the person knew the victim.
Hoster said it was not yet known if that killing was related to the others.
Pitt assisted in the investigation into the death of 6-year-old JonBenet Ramsey, a beauty pageant star who was found dead at her family's home in Boulder. But the Phoenix Police Department released a sketch of a man suspected of killing Pitt.
The firm issued a statement saying the women were treasured by co-workers who were mourning their deaths and helping police with the investigation. She was more than a coworker, she was a friend, a mother, a grandmother, daughter and wife and gave all of herself to her family, her friends and her work.
- ARM unveils Cortex-A76 CPU, says its 35% faster than predecessor
- Trump Says June 12 North Korea Summit is Back On
- Woman drives vehicle onto Little League Field, kills Vietnam veteran, police say
- India, Pakistan trade fire in Kashmir; 2 dead, 8 wounded
- Donald Trump's preview of jobless report draws criticism
- Venezuela frees 40 jailed activists and politicians
- LEGO's BUGATTI Chiron Model is 3600 Pieces of Awesomeness
- Trade Dispute: Donald Trump aide says Canada's PM Justin Trudeau overreacting
- Alibaba and Cainiao into strategic agreement with ZTO
- Junket tourism