Kate Spade, a fashion designer known for her sleek handbags, was found dead her NYC apartment Tuesday in an apparent suicide, law enforcement officials said. A housekeeper found Spade hanging from a red scarf tied to her bedroom doorknob, officials said. "More personal", she said.
In a statement, the company Kate Spade, said: "Although Kate has not been affiliated with the brand for more than a decade, she and her husband and creative partner, Andy, were the founders of our beloved brand". Last year, the brand was purchased by Coach for US$2.4 billion (S$3.2 billion).
Ms Spade took time off from the fashion industry, but launched a new brand called Frances Valentine in 2016, offering a line of luxury handbags and shoes.
Spade, who was born in Kansas City, Missouri, launched her company with husband Andy in their NY apartment in 1993.
Spade was a former accessories editor at the now-closed Mademoiselle magazine before launching her design company in 1993.
The firm was bought out a year ago by fellow NY designer Coach for a $2.4bn (£1.8bn).
Spade, born Katherine Brosnahan, grew up in Kansas City, Mo.
After news broke about Spade's suicide, her brother-in-law, comic David Spade, was spotted looking somber while hugging a friend in Los Angeles. David and Kate - who married David's brother, Andy, in 1994 - sweetly smile at each other in the blurry photo. "She had a quirky visual language that captivated Bat Mitzvah girls and artists alike", Lena Dunham tweeted. "She was also a staple of NYC who spread goodwill. Sending love to her family". "It's amusing how a purse can instantly make you feel like an adult".
If you or someone you know is considering suicide, contact the U.S. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255).
- Israel to send aid teams to Guatemala following deadly volcanic eruption
- Lady Gaga Headlines Bradley Cooper's 'A Star Is Born' Trailer
- GOP lawmakers push back on Trump's 'absolute right' to self-pardon
- England player's family to skip World Cup over racism fears
- It's all true: Sharapova hits back at Serena claim
- ASUS ROG Phone: clip-on cooling, was built for PUBG
- The Best Deals in Microsoft's E3 Sale
- Apple's latest MacOS update is called Mojave
- Apple previewing updates for iPhones, Siri and more
- Lava Claims 'Hundreds' More Homes on Hawaii's Big Island, Officials Say