Inés and Maxima's father, Jorge Zorreguieta, died previous year at the age of 89.
Tributes were paid to the "very handsome and talented" Zorreguieta on a video her brother Martin posted of her singing and playing the guitar a year ago.
Inés Zorreguieta (left) is Queen Maxima of Holland's (right) younger sister.
Inés Zorreguieta reportedly died of apparent suicide at her home in Argentina. It is intensely sad and heartbreaking news that can hardly be comprehended by those who stay behind.
She was bridesmaid at her sister's wedding to then Dutch Crown Prince Willem-Alexander in 2002 and is godmother to their youngest daughter, 11-year-old Princess Ariane. Dutch broadcaster NOS reported that the sister of the Argentinian-born queen likely committed suicide, citing a government spokesperson.
Reports say that Zorreguieta suffered from depression and mental health issues. "I wish them all the strength necessary to carry this awful loss together and I trust that they will get the peace and space for that". King Willem-Alexander will travel alone to Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.
If you or someone you know needs help, call the U.S. Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-8255, a free and 24/7 service that can provide suicidal persons or those around them with support, information and local resources.
- Facebook bug set 14 million users’ sharing settings to public
- Designer Kate Spade found dead in NY apartment
- Apple aims to get smartphone addiction under control
- Alice Marie Johnson Celebrates After Prison Release: ‘I Love You, President Trump’
- England player's family to skip World Cup over racism fears
- What you need to know in advertising today
- ASUS takes on Surface Laptop with the new ZenBook S
- Melania Trump Resurfaces After She Went "Missing" For 24 Days
- Golden State Warriors edge closer to NBA title with third straight win
- Justify arrives for Belmont Stakes, walks shed row