Leimome Cheeks, 62, was arrested on Saturday for allegedly transporting her two grandchildren in pet kennels in the trunk of her auto.
She told them to sit in the kennels, usually occupied by her two puppies, for the 25 mile journey because there was no room in the back of the vehicle.
According to an affidavit, cell phone video from Saturday night shows Leimome Cheeks letting a child out of the kennel near the 3700 block Elvis Presley just before 8 p.m.
They said their grandmother told them to sit in the kennels because there was no room in the trunk. There was no air conditioning in the back of the vehicle, while temperatures in the area reached about 95 degrees.
Skylarr Blake, Cheeks' neighbor, told WATN that Cheeks was a "nice lady" and that he couldn't "see her doing that". Neighbors are shocked. They say Leimome Cheeks is a very nice woman and they can't believe she did something like this.
"I think she needs some help".
The concerned citizen who shot the video says that he recorded the video for evidence in case police didn't show up in time. "For them to be in the hot auto like that in cages is sad", neighbor Nikita Blake said.
In an affidavit, Cheeks admitted to placing the children in the pet kennels and transporting them from Whitehaven to Collierville to Downtown Memphis.
The little girl can be seen getting out of the cage.
There were no air conditioning vents in the back of the vehicle and the children told police they became hot.
The 62-year-old was being held Sunday at Shelby County Jail.
- Britain's richest man offers to buy Chelsea from Abramovich
- White House takes up fight against 'back-stabbing' Trudeau
- California’s Attorney General Vows National Fight To Defend The ACA
- In eye of storm, scant news of Trump summit in North Korea
- Vettel takes pole, sets lap record in Montreal
- Mueller unveils new charges in Russian Federation probe
- Microsoft acquires a whole bunch of game studios
- G-7 summit with Trump was a ‘sobering’ experience, Merkel says
- Guardiola denies Toure claims of not liking Africans
- Bethesda reveals Starfield with achingly short trailer