Friday, 18 January 2019
Latest news
Main » India, Pakistan trade fire in Kashmir; 2 dead, 8 wounded

India, Pakistan trade fire in Kashmir; 2 dead, 8 wounded

04 June 2018
India, Pakistan trade fire in Kashmir; 2 dead, 8 wounded

The protests were largely peaceful Friday, with government forces hanging back after the previous week, when over 50 people were injured in fierce clashes. Bhat was brought to the SKIMS hospital after suffering "serious chest injury and multiple fractures" and died at night, hospital authorities said.

While Bhat's family said he fell as the vehicle hit him, the CRPF spokesperson in Srinagar alleged that a mob charged at one of their vehicles in which one of the officers of the 28th Battalion, Second-in-Command S S Yadav, was travelling.

On Staurday, the situation was calm after Friday prayers till the CRPF vehicle suddenly zipped through the area.

"They (protesters) came very close, some of them even climbed on the vehicle".

Eye-witnesses told Al Jazeera that two young protesters were mowed down by the paramilitary vehicle after Friday prayers at Nowhatta locality in Srinagar outside the region's grand mosque - a focal point for many protests.

A police official said that the high-speed mobile data services have been barred in four districts - Anantnag, Kulgam, Pulwama and Shopian - of south Kashmir.

Kaiser, after his parents death was with his aunt along with his two sisters.

Former Chief Minister and Working President of Jammu and Kashmir National Conference Omar Abdullah was quick to react to Qaiser's death and took a dig at CM Mehbooba Mufti and the central government's ceasefire announcement.

Residents said the armoured vehicle drove wildly into a crowd of protesters, crashing into six people and crushing at least two of them. "Ceasefire means no guns, so use jeeps?" he tweeted along with a picture of youth crushed under CRPF vehicle?" Is this your new Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) @MehboobaMufti sahiba?

One of the victims remains in a critical condition.

Clashes broke out after police used force to stop the march as it was on its way to a graveyard in the city of Srinagar to bury Kaisar Ahmad Bhat.

As the funeral was on, the security forces burst tear gas canisters into the crowd injuring mourners.

India's Border Security Force said its troops returned fire after Pakistani border rangers in Sialkot fired into Kashmir without provocation in the early hours of Sunday.

He said the criticism of security forces who risk their lives protecting the country was "unfortunate". Following the incident that sparked anger in Kashmir, J&K police registered two separate cases against the CRPF and the protesters.