The report was interpreted as meaning the United States would grant rewards - such as sanctions relief - to North Korea as North Korea take steps to denuclearize, a process which the USA had adamantly opposed. "They are fighting hard to downplay the deal with North Korea".
Pompeo returns late Thursday to the U.S.
Many lawmakers from both parties, while unready to declare the summit a diplomatic victory or defeat, remained skeptical the US could successfully negotiate a deal toward peace with Kim - but are letting the process play out. "Nobody thought we were going to have an agreement like that".
On Tuesday, following their historic Singapore meeting, Trump and Kim issued a joint statement that reaffirmed the North's commitment to "work toward complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula" and gave USA guarantees of security to North Korea.
Tough sanctions against North Korea will remain in place until its complete denuclearisation, the U.S. secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, has said, apparently contradicting North Korea's view that the process agreed at this week's summit would be phased and reciprocal. According to the Washington Post, North Korea's definition of "denuclearization" is different from Trump's.
Pyongyang's nuclear weapons program will come to an end, he asserted, claiming that Kim had already left Singapore and was "on his way back" to North Korea to begin implementing their joint vows.
Pompeo said a day earlier he would like to accomplish major nuclear disarmament in North Korea within Trump's current term. And now it appears Trump's overtures to North Korea and willingness to treat Kim like a statesman has earned the U.S. President a similar amount of deference.
Tokyo has reacted with concern at Trump's plans to cancel military exercises with South Korea, saying such drills are vital for East Asian security. "It has been 25 years since the North Korean nuclear issue popped up and there has been many, many diplomatic efforts and consultations and the Six Party talks, and it didn't go anywhere".
"The most directly involved party in Korean Peninsula issues is us". "But lots of other places where there were understandings reached, we couldn't reduce them to writing".
President Moon said the successful outcome of the U.S.
But they were effectively postponed when North Korea, angered at a U.S.
- Junket tourism
- Sanford acknowledges expected loss to challenger Arrington in 1st congressional district race
- USMNT, United Bid receive major lift with 2026 World Cup approval
- Net Neutrality Repealed; Local Business Owner Explains What Will Happen Next
- Tottenham confirm first game at new stadium vs Liverpool in September
- Meghan Markle's wedding dress 'last moment' to reflect her 'human side'
- Proposal to split California into 3 states will be on November ballot
- Michael Cohen's Lawyers Expected To Stop Representing Him In FBI Probe
- How Prince Harry Helped Meghan Through Her First Ever Balcony Appearance
- E3 2018: Development Still Hasn't Really Started on Beyond Good & Evil 2