On the eastern side of the peninsula, railways could connect South Korea's port city of Busan to Europe via the North and Russian Federation.
Last year's event was held in Kim Il-sung Square with a reported 100,000 people attending. "What surprised the world even more was. our people's solidarity to annihilate the enemy", it added - without identifying the enemy by name in any of its coverage.
On Monday it took the small but significant decision to skip one of the most symbolic and politically charged events of the year: the annual "anti-US imperialism" rally marking the start of the Korean War in 1950.
In an exclusive telephone interview with CNN to mark his first two months in office, Pompeo said he wanted to see continued progress toward North Korean denuclearization, a promise leader Kim Jong Un made to President Donald Trump at their June 12 summit in Singapore.
"Any statements by DoD personnel regarding the DPRK are exclusively in reference to the military aspects of the negotiations", White added, mentioning the "indefinite suspension of major exercises or logistical support for the dignified transfer of remains".
Referring to Trump's decision to suspend U.S. military exercises in the region, Pompeo said that "the President was clear".
On Monday, Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White said defense officials would only speak to military-related aspects of negotiations on North Korea and that there was "no specific timeline" for the diplomatic process. "On this day of all days it's nowhere to be found".
We want to hear from you.
North Korea is believed to have 170-mm self-propelled artillery guns with a range of almost 40 miles and 240-mm multiple rocket launchers.
At the Singapore summit, the first meeting between a serving USA president and a North Korean leader, Kim reaffirmed a commitment to work toward complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula, while Trump said he would halt joint U.S.
But critics have said the encounter between the two mercurial leaders was more style than substance, producing a document short on details about the key issue of the North's atomic weapons.
- Full time: South Korea 1 Mexico 2
- Pete Davidson confirms engagement to Ariana Grande
- Apple is developing high-end AirPods, two other enhanced audio accessories
- Oakland dispensary pulls products over 'Permit Patty' viral video
- Heather Locklear assaults a Ventura County deputy, again
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Two each for Hazard and Lukaku as Belgium thump Tunisia 5-2
- Sales tax ruling overturns decision in North Dakota case
- Cardi B Donates $8000 to Family of Boy Murdered in The Bronx
- Mohamed Salah considering quitting Egypt team over Ramzan Kadyrov row