Four days later, the first lady was admitted to hospital to treat a benign kidney condition.
Nevertheless, CNN's "Reliable Sources" newsletter on Monday led with a giant graphic of a calendar, placing question marks on each date since Mrs. Trump was "last seen" on May 10.
But her highly anticipated return to her role following the break from the public eye will not be open to press, with CNN reporting that the White House event on Monday will not see members of the media in attendance.
The event, a private East Room reception for more than 40 Gold Star military families, was not in and of itself an unusual activity for the first lady of the United States.
The White House said over the weekend that the first lady will not be traveling with her husband to the G7 meeting in Quebec this week or to Singapore for the June 12 summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
This did little to quell the conspiracy theories; indeed it only fueled the idea that the first lady had died or disappeared and someone else was writing her tweets for her.
"We've been going over her initiatives and other long-term planning for events such as the congressional picnic and 4th of July", Grisham said.
Now, Trump and his lawyers are arguing that the president can't, by definition, obstruct justice, and if he could, he can't be charged with any crime, and even if he were, he has absolute power to pardon himself - "essentially, that the president is above the law", Noah said.
It's still unclear when the first lady will make an appearance in public.
The first lady remained hospitalized for five nights following the procedure, which was successful and without complication, according to a statement issued by Grisham.
CNN described the joke as "playful, but a bit awkward" given that the event was to honor military families who'd lost relatives at war.
She went quiet in March as a media storm raged about revelations that her husband's lawyer paid porn star Stormy Daniels $130,000 before the 2016 election to keep silent over her alleged affair with Trump years earlier.
- Trump asserts 'absolute right' to pardon himself
- Ball Boy Collides With Player During French Open
- Apple reveals iOS 12 - The big upgrades
- 4 more deaths linked to romaine lettuce, 2 in Minnesota
- Merkel comments on Eurozone reform show move
- Canadian Brooke Henderson withdraws from US Women's Open
- China lowers tariffs, rejects USA trade war escalation
- First Saudi women receive driving licences amid crackdown
- Use Your Apple Watch as a Walkie Talkie, Coming Later This Year
- Korean Ratings Board lists Fortnite for Switch