At the G7 summit previous year, she wore a floral coat worth $51,000.
Her spokeswoman told Business Insider that "there was no hidden message". Shame is a powerful emotion. On Wednesday, U.S. President Donald Trump signed an order ending the separations and keeping families together while in custody. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar accompanied the first lady on the trip.
She did not reveal where the jacket came from.
Some thought the White House actually wanted the media to focus on the jacket so the administration could point out how shallow we are. We can walk and chew gum at the same time.
Trump, who works with personal stylist Hervé Pierre, often changes her clothing en route to a destination, so it's not known if she was alerted to the potentially offensive message on her jacket or if she had already planned to change into something else.
Fashion is political for the first lady. And not just any first lady.
At the facility the first lady talked with staff about how the children were being treated and asked how she could help. She supports family reunification.
Now to the matter at hand. But I don't believe that neither she nor her staff realized the message she was sending.
She visited a schoolroom at Upbring and chatted with about 20 young girls and boys who had school folders on their desks. Her detractors? The media? Or someone picked this one for her for a reason - and she went with it. There was her distance from Trump in the wake of the stories her husband had an affair with a porn star. If you believe that, I have a print newspaper industry I think you might be interested in.
Since becoming first lady, Trump has said she wants to champion helping children, yet has been for the most part vague about how exactly she intends to accomplish her goal.
The response to Trump's "I really don't care, do u?" jacket was swift. She inquired about the children's physical and mental care.
There simply aren't coincidences like this in politics.
The trip to Texas was the most high-profile public appearance Melania Trump had made since undergoing a surgical procedure for a kidney condition on May 14.
During her visit, she spoke alternately in English and through an interpreter, asking individual children in three classrooms where they were from.
- XXXTentacion Dead: Rapper Killed In Drive By Shooting in South Florida
- Ferry sinks in Sumatra, dozens missing
- Kim meets Xi in Beijing after S'pore summit
- Trump Signs Order to End Family Separation Policy
- Prince Louis's christening: Kensington Palace names the date
- Giant Hogweed, plant that causes third-degree burns and blindness, is spreading
- Eva Longoria gives birth to first child at 43
- Lucasfilm Only Want Proven Directors For Future Star Wars Movies
- The new cover of TIME forces Donald Trump to face immigrant children
- New Zealand gets new prime minister as Jacinda Ardern goes into labor